Cleaning plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Hi all

Unfortunately lost two hives. In cleaning them out, I found some plastic foundation (national brood) which I had a swarm pull out about three years ago. It was looking pretty brown by now so I scrapped it off but there was still lots of brown wax in the bottom of the foundation cells.

Tried dipping in hot water and rubbing with tooth brush to no effect. any one know of a trick to get the completely clean.

Thanks

Hi all

Unfortunately lost two hives. In cleaning them out, I found some plastic foundation (national brood) which I had a swarm pull out about three years ago. It was looking pretty brown by now so I scrapped it off but there was still lots of brown wax in the bottom of the foundation cells.

Tried dipping in hot water and rubbing with tooth brush to no effect. any one know of a trick to get the completely clean.

Thanks

steamer??

Never used plastic foundation but a Burco boiler and washing soda comes to mind. If it'll stand boiling.

Not sure if wife will stand for it in the freezer. But if I could hide it in there I will give it ago and let you know how it went.

I haven't got a steamer.

Never used plastic foundation but a Burco boiler and washing soda comes to mind. If it'll stand boiling.

No it won't, 2 or 3 quick dips in hot water maybe. It softens fairly quickly, so warm water & don't leave it to soak, it could be warped when you get to it.

Strong washing soda or preferably caustic soda solution, warm, in a shallow tray, leave it to soak for a few hours. Rinse well.

Latest posts

Back