Cleaning frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies died out over winter and there is some brown streaks on the frames.
I am assuming nosema so am cleaning out thoroughly.

Can I test for nosema with bees that have been dead for several weeks or on the bee pooh itself?

If I treat the empty frames with acetic acid I assume I can resuse these.

There are also several frames of honey that have been left sealed. Is there anything I can do with these?

I had a similar problem, I think the general consensus is that yes you can use acetic acid but melting down the wax and scrubbing with boiling water and washing soda is better.
As for the honey, why not extract it?

During my 50 years I have not verified do I have nosema, but I know that I have.

It is allways in bee yards more or less. Even if you start now from very beginning, you may have infection in hives in autumn.

Capped honey is worth to reuse.

Make strong hives for autumn. Use douple brood that colony can make a good store of pollen for autumn. Strong pollen store is a key of good wintering. It resist nosema too.

Such beekeeping does not work if you start everything from zero after spring.

There are too bee strains which are more tolerant to nosema than others.

it doesn't say that it is crystallised in the original post

several frames of honey

Might be helpful if we knew what they were. Likely sugar syrup in there, if not granulated. Not much else late last year other than ivy - and that would be granulated.

Likely better, all round, to sterilise and feed back at some point.

2 colonies died out over winter and there is some brown streaks on the frames.
I am assuming nosema so am cleaning out thoroughly.

Can I test for nosema with bees that have been dead for several weeks or on the bee pooh itself?

If I treat the empty frames with acetic acid I assume I can resuse these.

There are also several frames of honey that have been left sealed. Is there anything I can do with these?

You can test for Nosema on bees that have been dead for a few months - or so I was told at the Sittingbourne microscopy class. The spores (which is what you see under the microscope) are very hardy.

Glacial Acetic Acid vapour is indeed the normal UK means of sterilising empty combs. Remember to 'air them off' for a week or more before using them.

I personally am not etirely sure that is appropriate to stores frames, but am equally sure that I have read on here of one or more doing it.
If it is honey, and you have access to an ApiMelter, that might be a means of salvaging something. However if it is syrup ...

If it is honey, and you have access to an ApiMelter, that might be a means of salvaging something. However if it is syrup ...

I have written 10 times and melting crystallized combs is the most stupid way "to solve problem"

I have told 15 times and 5 different method, how to save combs and save the honey.

Amen

Thanks for advise.

The frames of honey are from a super which I left on for them over winter. It is certainly not syrup. It was on during Autumn apiguard treatment so probably tainted so would be feeding back to the bee if safe.

several frames of honey

Might be helpful if we knew what they were. Likely sugar syrup in there, if not granulated. Not much else late last year other than ivy - and that would be granulated.

How would your steralise these honey frames?

You cannot extract crystallized honey.

you can sterilize white combs and frames with Virkon S.

-

Would you soak the whole honey frame in this stuff?

several frames of honey

Yes probably fair amount of ivy honey in there.

Latest posts

Back