Cleaning extracted suppers in the hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard60

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After extracting honey from suppers. I am returning the suppers to the hive for the bees to clean remaining honey. How long do you leave the supper in the hive?

If you're putting the supers over the bees to clean they may add more nectar. just check in a couple of days.
Better still store them wet which largely protects against wax moth. I've stored mine wet for 12 years and never had a problem.
If you are putting them back and the flow has stopped put them on at the end of the day and be quick. If you faff around robbing is a real risk

How long do you leave the supper in the hive?
If a flow of any sort is coming in, then as Dani said, they'll refill.

Ivy is yet to flower and gardens, Himalayan balsam, ragwort and rosebay willowherb are in flower now. What's doing where you are, Richard?

Time to clean supers above a crownboard (with only a tiny access hole) is when the colony contracts and nothing is coming in.

No need to do so, though, unless you want the work.

My reason for waiting to put supers on to clear (when the time is right) is that I have a stack with crystallised scraps from last year.

If you're putting the supers over the bees to clean they may add more nectar. just check in a couple of days.
Better still store them wet which largely protects against wax moth. I've stored mine wet for 12 years and never had a problem.
If you are putting them back and the flow has stopped put them on at the end of the day and be quick. If you faff around robbing is a real risk
When wet supers are returned to the hive after harvesting, should they be taken off again after the bees clean them? Or will they start filling them again?

Also, what’s the advice on storage of wet supers? Should they be sealed, eg. Inside a bin bag? I’m assuming if you just left them in the shed, they’d be at risk of all sorts of insects/mice etc?

Also, what’s the advice on storage of wet supers? Should they be sealed, eg. Inside a bin bag?
If you only have a few then yes, seal them Up in a strong plastic sack - years ago I was lucky to have access to a supply of very large very strong plastic bags for sealing up commercial seizures of cigarettes or narcotics and I could seal up a stack of eight supers easily. Nowadays I just top and tail a stack of supers with pieces of 460x460x10mm OSB and cinch them all up with a couple of ratchet straps

If you only have a few then yes, seal them Up in a strong plastic sack - years ago I was lucky to have access to a supply of very large very strong plastic bags for sealing up commercial seizures of cigarettes or narcotics and I could seal up a stack of eight supers easily. Nowadays I just top and tail a stack of supers with pieces of 460x460x10mm OSB and cinch them all up with a couple of ratchet straps
Trust you paid for them😉

Nowadays I just top and tail a stack of supers with pieces of 460x460x10mm OSB and cinch them all up with a couple of ratchet straps
I put a 3 inch bore hole covered with a fine mesh in mine and rest them off the ground in the shed to give a bit of ventilation....Not sure if it makes a difference though.

Latest posts

Back