Cleaning after wax moth.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I’ve lost 3 colonies this season 2 to wax moth and one to wasps. The wax moth colonies are a real mess, with web and stuff everywhere.

Is my best bet to burn the frames and scorch the hive? And same with the wasps? Also need to get the wasps out! 1000’s of them.

Any tips please?

I’ve lost 3 colonies this season 2 to wax moth and one to wasps. The wax moth colonies are a real mess, with web and stuff everywhere.

Is my best bet to burn the frames and scorch the hive? And same with the wasps? Also need to get the wasps out! 1000’s of them.

Any tips please?
I would burn the wax moth frames & scorch the boxes - wax moth frazz is gross.
The wasps -you could block the entrance and use soapy water to kill them and then assess the frames. (They will die out soon anyway, so you could leave them, but I wouldn’t).

Burn the frames, no point in scorching the boxes, the wax moth larvae would be on the frames. I've always emptied boxes of wasps and closed up the hive.

Burn the frames, no point in scorching the boxes, the wax moth larvae would be on the frames. I've always emptied boxes of wasps and closed up the hive.
The eggs can be in crevices and any open joints in the hive walls and they are remarkably resilient little beggars. You can save the frames if you are inclined. Scrape out the wax ... you can recover some wax though not a lot from brood frames. Then put the scraped out frames back in the box and give them and the box a sulphur burn.. and another about 10 days later to be certain. Sulphur burn cost is pennies and is very effective. Frames are expensive to replace and time consuming to make up. I'm a bit too mean to consign them to the bonfire if they are still serviceable.

wax moth larvae would be on the frames
Regret to report that they will lay anywhere in wood or poly; wood is usually surface and cocoons can be scraped out, but in poly they burrow deep and sometimes through the wall; winter job to haul out the cocoons with a wire hook (water jet helps) and repair the worst with P38.

Had three significant outbreaks over the years and now spray with BtK, either Bruco or Dipel.

Regret to report that they will lay anywhere in wood or poly; wood is usually surface and cocoons can be scraped out, but in poly they burrow deep and sometimes through the wall; winter job to haul out the cocoons with a wire hook (water jet helps) and repair the worst with P38.

Had three significant outbreaks over the years and now spray with BtK, either Bruco or Dipel.
I am using seven year old dipel. I would imagine it is useless. We need someone to buy a £50 pot and divide it into £5 packs. I would buy a pack but not at £50. Useful money raiser for someone! 😃

Those boxes are rotated out and left for 1 to 2 seasons before reuse. I've never seen wax moth larvae inside upon reuse due to them being left empty.

Any tips please?
My hives are in a London Nature Reserve and we have not seen 1 signal wasp this year

My hives are in a London Nature Reserve
Who runs the reserve?
Surprised that you still have colonies on site; most reserves do not permit honey bees due to the risk of forage competition for the other 260 species of bee and all other pollinators.

It is not certain that competition for forage deprives smaller pollinators, but as research cannot cope with the variables of available seasonal forage & insect populations, the authorities operate a precautionary principle and exclude.

London Wildlife Trust allowed honey bees until about 5 years ago, but at a West London nature reserve a public stinging calamity gave LWT head office the opportunity to fall in line with Natural England policy (and to reduce liability).

Pity, because the honey company I worked for had hives on an LWT site, and I'd just persuaded the manager at Woodberry Wetlands of the value of honey bees as a shop window to draw the public into wider environmental debate, and he'd incuded it in his educational programme.

Last edited:
Who runs the reserve?

Surprised that you still have colonies on site; most reserves do not permit honey bees due to the risk of forage competition for the other 260 species of bee and all other pollinators.

It is not certain that competition for forage deprives smaller pollinators, but as research cannot cope with the variables of available seasonal forage & insect populations, the authorities operate a precautionary principle and exclude.

London Wildlife Trust allowed honey bees until about 5 years ago, but at a West London nature reserve a public stinging calamity gave LWT head office the opportunity to fall in line with Natural England policy (and to reduce liability).

Pity, because the honey company I worked for had hives on site, and I'd just persuaded the manager at Woodberry Wetlands of the value of honey bees as a shop window to draw the public into wider environmental debate, and he'd incuded it in his educational programme.
we have a max of 4 hives and a Bee house, a small shed, for education ourposes, the manager installed 80 tons of chalk and made a Chalk Wildflower Meadow for them, I have a 10 year old helper he attends a kids Beekeeping class for past 3 years in Croyden, and passes annual exams with 100%. We have several species of Bumble Bees, 1 nesting under the office, another nested at the base of a cob lined fire pit we dug, so the fires are now just outside the compound, or in a large washing machine drum, outside the Meadow is a large standing dead wood trunk occupied by the Scissor Bee, in our regualr transect several solitary Bees are noted

I would burn the wax moth frames & scorch the boxes - wax moth frazz is gross.
The wasps -you could block the entrance and use soapy water to kill them and then assess the frames. (They will die out soon anyway, so you could leave them, but I wouldn’t).
I think you can kill all stages of wax moth by freezing for 48 hours, but do scorch the boxes. I agree with the soapy water for dispatching the wasps, but finding their nests is difficult. If you do, you can soak a rag with petrol and put it over the entrance at night, but using pesticides is not a good idea as other species will also be affected.

I am using seven year old dipel. I would imagine it is useless. We need someone to buy a £50 pot and divide it into £5 packs. I would buy a pack but not at £50. Useful money raiser for someone! 😃
The gardener at one of my clients is still using 7 year old DiPel and says it still seems to be working.
The vineyard at another clients estate emailed me to say they we spraying DiPel on the vines asking if it was a problem for the bees. I’m sort of hoping it might kill the wax moth in the hives! 😂

Last edited:
i will carry on using it then, Can't do any harm!
I have a tub that's much older, I stopped using it years ago. You can buy small amounts through online sellers so no need to worry about being out of date, a gram per litre will treat ten supers so easier to buy a few grams than a whole tub.

Back