Cleaning a brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi guys- about to change my brood box which has been in use since I first got my swarm - two years ago. Its pretty gunky with propolis and stuff (not sure how to describe the 'stuff'). What is the best way to clean it? I know I have to scorch it afterwards before using it again.
Thanks Nuala

Personally I would not bother with scorching unless I did not know the origin of the brood box or there had been a known disease problem in the apiary.

Propolis soon gets replaced by the bees, so generally a quick scrape down with the hive tool to get rid of brace comb and "gunk" suffices.

Personally I would not bother with scorching unless I did not know the origin of the brood box or there had been a known disease problem in the apiary.

Propolis soon gets replaced by the bees, so generally a quick scrape down with the hive tool to get rid of brace comb and "gunk" suffices.

Then why bother changing it in the first place? Its all about good hygiene cutting down the risk of disease

If all spare equipment is cleaned and overhauled in the long boring days of winter the propolis and wax is hard and brittle, and comes off easily when scraped. Then the torch warms you up

Latest posts

Back