Cider or wine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I thought i would have a go making cider having a glut of apples this year. I followed a recipe on you tube as follows. Chopped & pressed apples, put juice in bucket, add wine yeast, leave for a week, rack off into a demi john, add 350g of sugar, leave to ferment. Now have i made cider or wine, this seems like wine to me, i had a pint or two thinking it was cider & could hardly get out of my chair :)

I thought i would have a go making cider having a glut of apples this year. I followed a recipe on you tube as follows. Chopped & pressed apples, put juice in bucket, add wine yeast, leave for a week, rack off into a demi john, add 350g of sugar, leave to ferment. Now have i made cider or wine, this seems like wine to me, i had a pint or two thinking it was cider & could hardly get out of my chair :)

It's not what you call it - it's the alcoholic content ... did you check the original specific gravity of the must - some apples are fairly high in sugar content and adding another 350g of sugar could well have pushed the alcohol levels up to quite a high level .. Some 'rough' ciders are pretty potent compared to the 'managed' stuff you get on tap or in plastic bottles ...

Do you remember White Lighning Cider from the 1990's ? Started out at 8.5% alcohol but eventually was reduced to 5.5% because Government felt that too many people were using it as a cheap way to get off their heads ! Perhaps you won't remember it !!!

Ha! I vaguely remember white lightening :)
No i didnt check the SG before i started but i think the alcohol finished off the yeast. Ive been told i shouldnt have added sugar & stopped the fermentation once it reached approx %5 to 6. Would that be right? I have 6 gallon to get through before i try again next year :cheers2:

Ha! I vaguely remember white lightening :)
No i didnt check the SG before i started but i think the alcohol finished off the yeast. Ive been told i shouldnt have added sugar & stopped the fermentation once it reached approx %5 to 6. Would that be right? I have 6 gallon to get through before i try again next year :cheers2:

Yep .. 5-6% is about right for a cider that you can drink in pints .. nothing wrong with apple wine though - matures into quite a pleasant fruit wine. Rack it out when it is clear and put a couple of gallons aside to mature for a year - you will be pleasantly surprised. Make sure it has stopped fermenting (a bubble trap for a week or two should tell you) and then cork it well or it will turn into vinegar.

There are people I know of (not me of course) who put half a gallon in a plastic bottle in the freezer.... then drain the higher alcohol content spirit off the frozen water and used it to fortify their apple wine ... the extra alcohol turns the basic wine into a really nice dessert wine. Obviously, freezing is distillation by 'any means' and is illegal ... which is why I don't do it ! :)

Yep .. 5-6% is about right for a cider that you can drink in pints .. nothing wrong with apple wine though - matures into quite a pleasant fruit wine. Rack it out when it is clear and put a couple of gallons aside to mature for a year - you will be pleasantly surprised. Make sure it has stopped fermenting (a bubble trap for a week or two should tell you) and then cork it well or it will turn into vinegar.

There are people I know of (not me of course) who put half a gallon in a plastic bottle in the freezer.... then drain the higher alcohol content spirit off the frozen water and used it to fortify their apple wine ... the extra alcohol turns the basic wine into a really nice dessert wine. Obviously, freezing is distillation by 'any means' and is illegal ... which is why I don't do it ! :)

Well maybe to the Goverment but as a chemist they are totally different processes so ...... I may just have to experiment.:spy:;)

I'm loving the freezing & fortifying idea, shame its illegsl so i cant do it of course.
As i collected dozens of plastic screw top bottles for my "cider" can i use these for the wine? Most wine nowadays are screw top anyway, i just wonder if the plastic would taint the wine over time

Well maybe to the Goverment but as a chemist they are totally different processes so ...... I may just have to experiment.:spy:;)

Obviously, as you are not actually distilling the 'wine' by heat to get at the alcohol, it is a much safer process if you are intending using the distillate for fortifying wines (It's a bit rough if you taste it on its own) ... and of course it does not produce as high a concentration of alcohol as there is a point where the alcohol content of the remaining liquid in the polythene bottle lowers its own freezing point to a temperature lower than that you can achieve in a domestic freezer ... but it's enough ... or so I am told !

I'm loving the freezing & fortifying idea, shame its illegsl so i cant do it of course.
As i collected dozens of plastic screw top bottles for my "cider" can i use these for the wine? Most wine nowadays are screw top anyway, i just wonder if the plastic would taint the wine over time

I usually use glass demijohns but I know people who use PET bottles and swear by them ... no apparent taste issues.

Sounds to me as if you ought to try it in your car..

I usually use glass demijohns but I know people who use PET bottles and swear by them ... no apparent taste issues.

Ive brewed it in glass demi johns after the initial fermentation in a bucket, need to bottle it now so i have a load of plastic bottles to sterilise then. I will leave 2 demi johns for a year then .

The advice must be: Never believe hat you see on the internet unless you have corroborative evidence.

Now, I have a very good second hand book on winemaking which I would sell to you for a tenner (and an extra £2.50 shipping and handling charge, of course).:D:D

It is called 'First Steps in Winemaking' by C J J Berry. It does include a small section on cider.

The advice must be: Never believe hat you see on the internet unless you have corroborative evidence.

Now, I have a very good second hand book on winemaking which I would sell to you for a tenner (and an extra £2.50 shipping and handling charge, of course).:D:D

It is called 'First Steps in Winemaking' by C J J Berry. It does include a small section on cider.

No thanks ive just bought one off Azon for a fiver! :p

No thanks ive just bought one off Azon for a fiver!

Well, you are learning, but only slowly. The book is free from the net as a download. Ha ha ha.

The bible of all winemakers - my copy is well thumbed and nearly falling apart from years of use, was first published in 1960 and is still in print having now sold over 3 million copies ... I started making my own wines from it in about 1973 ... CJJ Berry died in 2002 having retired to Spain and I suspect First Steps along with his other tomes 'Home Brewed Beers and Stouts' and '130 New Winemaking Recipes' were an important addition to his pension. I didn't rate his beer book much and some of the recipes in his later wine book were a little too 'country' for my tastes ... I recall Beetroot Sherry as one of the more disasterous concoctions ...

Could you do this with mead? Or is it too high in alcohol already?

Latest posts

Back