christmas potatoes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexbigshow

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
has anyone ever planted potatoes in august to harvest at xmas, i have just bought 10 from ebay they are called carlingford, just wondered how to get the best crop from them. thanks for any replies

chris

I just been on holiday and while I was away, we decided to do exactly the same thing, will be interesting to see how they get on.

didn't even know taties could be grown this late i came across them on accident, if they grow well i will make sure i have room for more next year

best in a greenhouse or poly tunnel. No need to heat them but spuds (even these) are frost sensitive. I grow Wilja for Christmas in a poly tunnel without problems

Having tried new spuds,old spuds,special for Xmas spuds .....for the last ten years I have planted spuds that sprouted in my larder in a large bucket and put them in the greenhouse. It doesn't really matter what variety as you are picking them "new". Lovely for Christmas day :)

We have grown them for the past few years - in dustbins (clean ones, with holes in the bottom!) just outside the back door. Wonderful with a slice or two of roast buzzard and a drop of formaldehyde gravy!

Latest posts

Back