Christmas Hens?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 382

House Bee
Reaction score
Anyone else got ex-battery hens and would like some more?

I've received the following email from The British Hen Welfare Trust. Drop them an email If you are interested in rescuing some for Christmas. And no, I don't mean for the pot! :party-smiley-039:

Steve

Sent: 29 November 2011 18:27
To: Ian - BHWT
Subject: Christmas Hens?

Dear Adopter,

My apologies for the mass email, but I am writing to you as you have in the past kindly rescued hens from our team in Coventry.

As you may know, the ban on the small, barren, battery hen cages in the UK comes into force on New Years Day 2012.

This is great news for the future, but sadly means any hens still in the old style cages on this date will be sent to slaughter.

BHWT are working with farms to bring out and rehome as many of these Girls as we can in the week before the New Years Eve deadline. We know the weather may not be ideal and it's a busy time of year for everyone, but it is "now or never" for these little birds, they won't be there in the Spring.

The Coventry rescue will be on Wednesday 28th December, so if you have room for a few more hens and can make it over on, or just after that day, please reply by email giving us your:

First name:

Surname:

Postcode:

The number of hens you want to reserve:

We will send you an acknowledgement and booking confirmation asap, but will send directions, pick up times and full collection details nearer the date.

(Organising all of this means we are going to be very busy over the next few weeks, so please DO NOT EMAIL us if you cant adopt at the moment.)

I know we can't save them all, but with your help, we can certainly try!

All best wishes

Ian and Mollie

BHWT Warkwickshire and West Midlands CoOrdinator

ps our teams all over the country will be looking for homes for hens in late December, so please do spread the word of this appeal to all you know - friends, family, folk at work and via facebook etc. Please ask anyone interested to register and apply for hens via our website www.bhwt.org.uk.

pps if you would like removing from this email update list, please let us know.

BHWT Hen Central Office 01769 580310
www.bhwt.org.uk
The British Hen Welfare Trust is a national charity that re-homes commercial laying hens, educates the public about how they can make a difference to hen welfare, and encourages support for the British egg industry. Its ultimate aim is to see consumers and food manufacturers buying only UK produced free-range eggs, resulting in a strong British egg industry where all commercial laying hens enjoy a good quality of life. Registered Charity 1109060

It's a good cause and I wish I could help, but I've already taken on more hens from two people who wanted to get rid of theirs this year, so I've got more than I can manage at the moment.:(

Just realised I probably shouldn't have posted the whole email as it was intended for people who have already registered and adopted hens from the bhwt. If anyone is interested, the best place to start is their website

Please ask anyone interested to register and apply for hens via our website www.bhwt.org.uk.

No stuffing, but certainly likely to be shot :)

We are getting a few (more)......

I wasn't actually consulted obviously!

Thanks SteveH, just showed this to the wife, and we will get another 6 to 10 to add to our flock.

There is not that much production left in conventional cages, most have now converted to enriched cages ahead of the of the ban. The UK will be compliant with the new regs on the 1st Jan 2012.

The regs also require lower stocking densities in older units that have prevoiusly had a grandfather rights.

Europe on the other hand will not be, 29% of EU production will be in illegal cages on the 1 Jan 2012. There a few that have complied, but the big exporting countries mostly have not.

I encourage people to only buy Lion Branded eggs.

@porterswoods

I think this is what confuses me (inter alia) about the Europe thing. We seem to be the only country that actually bothers to adhere to the various edicts, whether they be bizarre or sensible. At the same time we seem to be the country hauled up in front of the Commission/Courts the most frequently for breaking aforementioned rules.

Thanks for the heads up on Lion branded being compliant - we usually get eggs direct from a local farm shop anyway, but should we go elsewhere I'll check.

If they are stamped with a UK number they will be fine as that number is issued by DEFRA. They check and measure the shed and equipent and license if for a set amount of birds according to the new rules. If the produce doesn't meet the required mandatory standards then no producer number will be issued.

For example my producer number is 1UK21444. The indicates free range, UK id the country that it was laid in, the number on the end is my farm number.

If it was a Polish caged egg it would be 3PL00000, These eggs would most likely to be non compliant.

This new legislation is consumer led and the industry will supply the eggs people want to buy. I can only urge the spending public to be vigilant and spend thier pound to buy british and Lion branded eggs where possible.

Also to be aware that the main threat of illegal eggs is in cakes and products that use egg as an ingredient.

I encourage people to only buy Lion Branded

eggs.​

:iagree:

AND.... you could keep a few hens in the apiary and have really fresh eggs!

our Goldline / Warrens are the friendliest of chucks.. obviously grateful of being rescued and have even began to lay again!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back