Choice of Bee Suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I may have been given the chance to look after somebody else's bees in the meantime, which will give me a great opportunity to hone my recently acquired beekeeping skills. Great !

Perhaps you could ask to borrow the suit of the BK who you will be looking after the bees for?

Perhaps save some cash?

Perhaps you could ask to borrow the suit of the BK who you will be looking after the bees for?

Perhaps save some cash?

Not that practical as a means of receiving instruction and watching the beek at work.

And if the beek happens to be smaller than you are ...

An all-in-one suit makes great sense for a beginner.
And, in case of giving up, the resale value of a good suit (in a mainstream colour) will be much higher than an eBay 'bargin'.
Save cash? :biggrinjester:

Don't forget many of the major suit suppliers do so in different materials. I have used light weight suits for years as I find the thicker cotton ones too warm for beekeeping. My Sherrif is on the way out after 15+ years, I bought BB Wear as a back up last year. I suspect I will buy a new Sherrif this month at £200. There is much more choice out there and varity of prices / types than many describe here. For me a top suit is essential. Never been stung through my suit in 30 years.....gloves yes, quality cool suit no.

I've got a Ma1semore full suit, it works fine and will dry overnight.

Have also got a Sw1enty one from MB.

Not much difference between them, except that the Mm one has a velcroed cover over the zip ends.

Thanks for all the replies to my posting “Choice of Bee Suit” … I think I have decided on the one piece outfit, with the round hat, as opposed to the fencing style. Two members of a recent course, kept having to pull the mesh off their faces. OK a baseball hat underneath might help, maybe even offering more protection. Decisions !!

Hats.
Great idea in the sun.
Not so good in the wind.
And there is a less-protected point at the head-band, where the hat rests tightly on the head. (If it ain't tight, it will fall off when you bend over...)

My Swienty/ModBeek'ing suit even has a vented panel above the hat's headband -- brilliant, I thought (but that was before I bought it!)

So, the BB that I am promising myself will have a fencing veil.
And I am assured that the BB veil can be stuffed inside the suit and machine washed. Hats generally require *hand* washing ...

One USP of BB is that you can interchange the two types on the same suit. So if you fancy and can afford a spare, try both!

// Worth noting that BB do have a discount scheme for members of those Associations that have chosen/bothered to apply.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back