Chickens ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Clearing a few brambles and levelling out an area in my (possible?) new apiary site this morning.
On a farm, nice south facing site with tall hedges at the rear and westerly edges providing a nice wind break, good access, mettaledish farm track with parking by a gate to the field, hives concealed by hedges..........

BUT as I was shovelling I was joined by a number of free ranging chickens, pecking at worms etc.... they were everywhere once I noticed them!

Now much as I like chickens ( Roast) will they leave my bees alone?

I have looked through the threads and found a horror story.......... no mention of poultry ~vs~ bees in any of my bee books that I can find.

Should I put up a small fence to keep the chickens away or would they hop over it to feast on the bees?

Bit stumped on this one!

I need councilling!

i have a fence around myne to keep out sheep chickens and dogs :leaving:

Dont worry about the chooks, theyll only eat the odd ill or tired bees and will certainly learn to leave the hives alone

I've never had any problems with my hens going after the bees. My hives are on stands about 2 ft high and teh hens barely notice them. As an aside, I find that the hens go mad for culled drone brood.

Dont worry about the hens I had the same concerns last year I let the hens run free beside the bees now and no problems. The hens seem to sence to keep away from the bees when you have the hive open.I've not seen a hen eating a bee yet although they eat everything else and all other insects.( Maybe I've just got smart hens or they have been stung a few times and know to keep away)
The only problem you might have is hen crap on top of your hives as they love to roost on top of the hives or shelter below.Piece or wire netting on top of hives stops that.

My hens and cockerel always wander over to the hives to look at what I'm doing but any other time they leave them alone. I wouldn't worry.

So do mine , but other than that both the dogs & the chickens are smart enough to leave the hives alone

What about Bullocks !! this is my little fan club. nothing like an audience.

My hens are ten feet away from the hive, fenced off but quite close. No probs yet!

Thank you folks... I can sleep tonight!

Just loved that piccy of the Bullocks and the silver plated hive!

A strange thing happened out greenlaning on my 230cc Honda around the Widdicombe area of Dartmoor..... parked up the bikes to take in the view and a mob of bullocks gathered around the bikes and started licking them!!!
Nothing to do with bees whatsoever..... would up load a piccy but don't know how !

i have escapee hens and they always seem to go around behind the hives scratting they dont seem to pay to much attension to the hives themselves and i have never noted the hives to be agressive when the chickens are around. They were once when i found a pheasant under one hive. not happy bunnys that day.

Latest posts

Back