Cheap extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking at the Thornes Octimel, 8 frame extractor for £295. Does anyone have any experience of it?

I paid around £120 for a four frame extracor that also takes brood frames, i modified it so it will take eight super frames, the company i bought it from must have cottoned on because they have nearly doubled the price of them now.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 43
nice one beefriendly

Oliver
the extractor is not worn and in pretty good condition for age. the only real problem is the cage. the plastic coating has gone brittle and come off. I've had it tin coated but surface rust is showing through. not used it in 10 years and it's in bits.

New stainless steel cages used to be available from big T. Likely still are. Might still be a better route than a cheap and nasty new one.

Beefriendly,

What's the quality like with the Abelo 20/8 frame radial extractor? I'm thinking of getting one cause the Thorns 9 frame manual is getting a little tired at 30years old.

I'm also looking at a table top steam uncapper, any experience with one?

Ian

We have the Abelo 8 frame and it’s excellent. It will have to do for a few more years but finding it a bit small after 5 years of business expansion. Looking to build a dedicated honey room within 5 years as part of our business plan....planning authority playing ball that is!
S

Was looking at the Thornes Octimel, 8 frame extractor for £295. Does anyone have any experience of it?

I bought one recently, but not used it yet. It was a little rough in places - like around the honey gate hole but a bit of wet and dry soon sorted it. It comes apart easily for cleaning, but is a little awkward to reassemble on your own. The spindle rests on a ball bearing which can be lost when taken apart - I noticed mine on the garage floor fortunately. It's pretty robust and taking 8 frames, means it won't get too many sessions each year from four hives and thus should last a while. I'll update after the inaugural session if you like.

I actually purchased it, arrived today; cleaned and assembled this evening. I have no prior experience of extractors so can't really comment on quality. My only criticism is that the bits of red paint on the mechanism at the top are a bit flaky.

I actually purchased it, arrived today; cleaned and assembled this evening. I have no prior experience of extractors so can't really comment on quality. My only criticism is that the bits of red paint on the mechanism at the top are a bit flaky.

Used it tonight to extract 8 frames - the handle rattled like a good un but it was all good otherwise. Good luck with yours.

I hope to get at it on Sunday, I have a super to extract for my first batch of honey ever. Looking forward to it.

I've been using that one for about 6 years and it's alright for my 3 or 4 hives. I can't say I like it, but I've not been tempted to spend lots of money on a better one.
Mine had some sharp shards of metal round the honey-gate hole too.

I just bought one. We'll see how well it works in a week or two, I expect. Now to find some food grade lubricant for those dry gears....

I cleaned mine today and yes, there's a lot of sharp edges. I hope I managed to clean all the blood off....

At this stage of my advancement (if I can call it that) in beekeeping, I'll treat this as an interim piece of kit. If I expand to more than four hives, I'll upgrade to a better, bigger extractor. For now, it'll do.

I've never used a really cheap one but mine cost around £250 in an auction. It can spin eight super frames at once or four jumbo brood frames. I can put any frame in it I like. Its well built and a manual although I have the option of a motor. I'm glad I payed the extra its a Nisala and worth every penny

Mine was just a bit more than half that but no motor option, four frames maximum (any size as far as I can see), with skin-slicing a non-optional extra.

Latest posts

Back