Cheap extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been noticing the number of cheap extractors on the market recently - I'm fairly new to this so up to now I've relied on others to loan me theirs - and I'm tempted to spring for one. What are the disadvantages of the (roughly) £150 four-frame extractors, size aside? Anyone bought one and regretted it?

As always I've bought as I needed and regretted it. Had a two frame manual, a four frame manual, 9 frame manual and now a 9 frame motored jobby. So all in all its cost me way more to do it that way than have gone straight for the motorised 9 frame jobby.

The cheap end of the mkt are the consumable end IMHO ie breaks throw it away and get another one. If your not extracting much the simplist way by far is join a club and borrow theirs. Its cheaper and you get to try out before you buy.

For my money from all those I have used and looked at, Giordano are pretty much up there for quality and service and their motorised version is damn good, motor not drill.

I’m happy with my four-frame manual extractor from Simon the Beekeeper, though in hindsite, and in hopes of a bumper crop one day, maybe I should have got a six- or 8-frame one. The one disadvantage, and something I didn’t factor in when choosing it, is the lack of space below the spinning gubbins. It starts dragging in the extracted honey very quickly unless I keep a careful eye on it.

I bought s/h a 4 frame extractor on ebay. Came with a built in 50 liter extraction tank.. used twice, half new price of £390..Sold by Maisies originally..

If patient, there are bargains - out of season

I don't mind the turning and manual spinning but this year's bumper crop is likely to make me consider changing my mind - but my Scottish nature says this is a once in 10 year summer. So I will not..

I have a 4 frame extractor from ebay that suits my needs just fine.
It's the stainless steel version, but was only about £20 more than that plastic bucket!

I have a four frame does me fine but if I had the extra money I would of bought bigger and radial, the tangential one isn't so kind to my nice wax leaves an impression of the cage on my comb

I am in a similar position to you, also looking to buy an extractor. Don't want to fork out for a £600+ extractor for a small scale garden operation...

For the use it would get I'm thinking something like the link you posted would be suitable? Would also like people's opinions on this.

A two frame extractor is fine - for two hives.
Beyond that it is VERY slow and lots of reloading.
And you do need a Large settling tank to drain honey into as you go,, or the honey in the bottom will contact the spinning extractor and well make a mess internally slow down and screw things up.

As long as you don't extract all at once, a manual 4 frame is fine for doing 3-5 supers at a time - after that my arm hurts..# I only gave 27 supers over 8 hives so I have to extract little and often - every 10 days or so in this summer. Quite acceptable.. With a Lang super averaging 18- 20lbs of honey 5 supers = 100lbs - quite a lot to store and/or bottle.

(Not all my hives are honey production hives)..

At 100lbs of honey at a go, that is a minimum of three storage buckets as moving 50lbs of honey at a time single handed is hard work..(read impossible for me as my back dislikes it)

# 1 super = 10 frames (for me).
So 5 supers = 50 frames
= 13 sets of 4 frames..
= 39 placings in basket for 4 frame tangential extractor.
= 3 empties/filtering of tank
By then I am hot sweaty and fed up.

A lot depends where you want your beekeeping to end up. If you are planning on expanding your number of hives then you need to think bigger, much bigger.
If you are intending to sell your honey, as I do, I found that thinking of equipment in terms of number of jars sold made it a lot easier......
e.g I sell my 12oz jars at £5 a jar, which makes an electric Abelo 12 frame radial come in at 120 jars of honey or about 90lbs of honey needed in total.
(And yes I know you need to factor other things into the calculations....it's just a rough ready reckoner). Problem is next bit of kit I'd like comes to around 1300 jars :)
I thought I was in heaven with an electric Thornes Universal 9 frame radial, until I got an Abelo 20 frame radial....

Uncapping spinning and extraction can be a real bottle neck. Fun for the first few years but can quickly become a boring task until you have the right kit for the job.

Bought an 8 frame manual
Does the job ATM but I find it quicker/easier to do 4 frames at a time
Lining up 8 frames at a time is a pain

Anyone have any experince of the Easipet ones on Amazon/Ebay?
You have just bought some "proper" Buckfast queens. They will, if managed correctly, shock you with their honey gathering abilities next year. Think BIG!

Beefriendly,

What's the quality like with the Abelo 20/8 frame radial extractor? I'm thinking of getting one cause the Thorns 9 frame manual is getting a little tired at 30years old.

I'm also looking at a table top steam uncapper, any experience with one?

Ian

Beefriendly,

What's the quality like with the Abelo 20/8 frame radial extractor? I'm thinking of getting one cause the Thorns 9 frame manual is getting a little tired at 30years old.

Ian

Excellent, just make sure Damien sets it up to slowly accelerate. It's programmable. The problem I had with previous extractors was they got up to speed too fast and blew lots of frames. With the Abelo most honey comes out at 3; at 10 it's almost dry frames.
Steam uncapping knife is brilliant. Worth every penny..Extraction now up to about 8 supers an hour....okay cleaning up take a bit longer :)
PM me if you fancy popping up and checking them out.

Ian

Unless the extractor is actually worn out (not sure how, mind), why not just motorise it? Probably far better quality than most new kit and a cheaper option as well.

Quality is subjective, too. Shiny and new does not mean it is any good.

“Buy cheap, buy twice” comes to mind. I expect your 9 frame extractor has another thirty years in it, if maintained properly and updated judiciously.

As always I've bought as I needed and regretted it. Had a two frame manual, a four frame manual, 9 frame manual and now a 9 frame motored jobby. So all in all its cost me way more to do it that way than have gone straight for the motorised 9 frame jobby.

The cheap end of the mkt are the consumable end IMHO ie breaks throw it away and get another one. If your not extracting much the simplist way by far is join a club and borrow theirs. Its cheaper and you get to try out before you buy.

For my money from all those I have used and looked at, Giordano are pretty much up there for quality and service and their motorised version is damn good, motor not drill.
I have run a drill driven Giordano for 8 years, with no problems whatsoever. At that time they were only about £350, but considerably cheaper than the fully motorised ones , and I still do not have to turn any handles!

I'm not sure I'm ready to spend Giordano money but the kit available from Simon the Beekeeper looks attractive for the price. Then you see gear like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Frame-...858813&hash=item3b0e85d9b0:g:KccAAOSwZvFbB-qp

Not sure that a lightweight plastic bin will be very satisfactory when you start turning the handle....

I bought a 6 frame radial from S the B this year for my 2 hives and find it pretty good. Chose the deal that came with accessories https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk...ctor-for-british-national-bee-hives-99-detail

Radial 'cos then you only spin once, no turning frames, 6 frame 'cos that was the biggest I could afford, and it will take brood sized frames tangentially. :)

nice one beefriendly

Oliver
the extractor is not worn and in pretty good condition for age. the only real problem is the cage. the plastic coating has gone brittle and come off. I've had it tin coated but surface rust is showing through. not used it in 10 years and it's in bits.

Latest posts

Back