centrifuge for analysing pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would do.... but recently bought a little used electric one (MSE) with vairi speed and time control for much the same price.

Chons da

How long do you have to centrifuge?

5 mins at 3k with 10% honey does the trick for me. It needs to be diluted or you can spin all day and no polen will pellet.

That would do.... but recently bought a little used electric one (MSE) with vairi speed and time control for much the same price.

Chons da
Thanks, that's interesting. I haven't seen any used ones.

OK I think that might rule out a hand driven centrifuge.

Nope, you can use the hand held ones...but would you want to be near one when one of the buckets flies off? Those things have the potential to be lethal and scare me to death.
All modern centrifuges have lids and safety buttons etc.
The hand held ones will do a large volume. I use something similar to this that spins 1.5ml tubes. Takes up less room and can be used for other things.

Search 323494418868 in ebay.

I have a couple of small electric one that take 2ml tubes (and plenty of tubes) if anybody fancies trying one?
They won't be expensive,in fact in an ideal world I would swap for wax ,my poor bees can't keep up with my wife's candle making.
If anyone is interested drop me a line and I will dig them out and take a couple of pics.

I have a couple of small electric one that take 2ml tubes (and plenty of tubes) if anybody fancies trying one?
They won't be expensive,in fact in an ideal world I would swap for wax ,my poor bees can't keep up with my wife's candle making.
If anyone is interested drop me a line and I will dig them out and take a couple of pics.
I could be as i have just got a pollen identification kit at Tradex, don't have any wax at moment thou.

I could be as i have just got a pollen identification kit at Tradex, don't have any wax at moment thou.

I'd be interested to know more about the kit. Identifying pollen is not the easiest job in the world. Too many round ones and sausage shaped ones.

I'd be interested to know more about the kit. Identifying pollen is not the easiest job in the world. Too many round ones and sausage shaped ones.

At Uni I spent 20 weeks looking at pollens in core samples from Loe pool that go back to the last glaciation... fascinating to see what the native flora was then... but there were no exotic species to worry about!

There is a microscopy group bases in Liskeard Cornwall who delight in looking at pollens and identifying them... none are beekeepers so there is no petty childish arguments!!!

At Uni I spent 20 weeks looking at pollens in core samples from Loe pool that go back to the last glaciation... fascinating to see what the native flora was then... but there were no exotic species to worry about!
They were all exotic species even then. During the last ice age there were no trees or plants growing in, what now, is the UK. They all emigrated here from elsewhere.

They were all exotic species even then. During the last ice age there were no trees or plants growing in, what now, is the UK. They all emigrated here from elsewhere.

Quite so,,, bit of a pedantisism going on dare I say!

By exotic perhaps I should have written... pollen from plants that are accepted by science as being endemic to the area.... therefore anything brought in much before 2500 years BP could be considered exotics

But for most of us exotics means all the stuff brought in by the great plant collectors... and on the boots of troops etc etc.

Last season there was great excitement about some Peony pollen found in a frame that was given to them to play with!!... now that is exotic!!!

Yeghes da

By exotic perhaps I should have written... pollen from plants that are accepted by science as being endemic to the area.... therefore anything brought in much before 2500 years BP could be considered exotics
Yes, that would have helped clarify things, but I don't understand what British Petroleum has to do with it... :)

But for most of us exotics means all the stuff brought in by the great plant collectors... and on the boots of troops etc etc.

I'm curious why Icanhopit/Cheers thinks "native" is necessarily best suited to a particular area. There are lots of cases where introductions (deliberate or accidental) have proven more resilient than those they succeed (another example of "survival of the fittest"). One example is Himalayan Balsam which beekeepers seem to approve of.

Probably not 100% safe but I bought some of these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-0-5m...695409&hash=item2ce39e472d:g:nCkAAOSwZJBX~H1U

cut a can in half, put a bolt through the bottom, drilled four holes to fit the centrifuge tubes-just. Stuck the bolt in like a drill bit in my electric drill which I then put in my bench vice.

Ran it with a thick cardboard box over the top, it seemed to work reasonably well with no flyers yet!

I'm curious why Icanhopit/Cheers thinks "native" is necessarily best suited to a particular area. There are lots of cases where introductions (deliberate or accidental) have proven more resilient than those they succeed (another example of "survival of the fittest"). One example is Himalayan Balsam which beekeepers seem to approve of.

Read this

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-the-spread-of-harmful-invasive-and-non-native-plants

Some beekeepers do not care about protecting their environment... quite obviously!

Back