Celotex insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finman, I understand that you know a great deal about beekeeping, but why do you have to put everyone else down?

Finman, I understand that you know a great deal about beekeeping, but why do you have to put everyone else down?

Bee diseases are serious thing. Why don't you have opinion about rubbish advices?

Professional people have made several years serious work and then some artist take better knowledge from his own head.

Why don't you have opinion about that?

Finman ..... why do you have to put everyone else down?
He's got nothing better to do!
British beekeepers have painted their hives with creosote.
Have those guys made full toxicology tests?

Read creosote from wikipedia. IT is interesting. Quite wast variety of.... Something...
So you don't know that the use of creosote is at least heavily restricted these days? Wikipedia obviously isn't your friend!

Check the UK legislation, and get yourself up to date! http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

So you don't know that the use of creosote is at least heavily restricted these days? ]

IT became heavily restricted at least 30 years ago, when I worked with it in a used Wood recycling project ( y 1988).
So I was astonished when Bristish beekeepers painted their hives with creosote 10 years ago.

So... Problem is not, that I do not know. Problem is somewhere else. In situ, you know.

Now British beekeeper forum demands "full toxicology tests in polyhives" ....testing what?

Last edited:
url]

Yes, I have not. I try to save British Beekeepers from false prophets.

Read David Cushman pages to day.......

Then creosote duscussion in this forum 2010...

More from google 'creosote beehive'. Chemistry knowledge does not seem to be best virtues of beekeepers.

Last edited:
I know why I gave up on this thread.

joints

Sorry to resurrect this but do you tape the exposed/cut foam surface with tape or glue directly on to it? Sorry if its a stupid question.

He should get some bees!

Sorry to resurrect this but do you tape the exposed/cut foam surface with tape or glue directly on to it? Sorry if its a stupid question.

If the edges are going to stay exposed, just use some aluminium jointing tape over it

Sorry to bring this back up.

I've made my first "bonnet" to fit a national deep & shallow as I will leave the shallow on over winter to use as an eke for feeding purposes. I will put insulation in when I remove the feeder.

Before I make more would it be easier/simpler to make the bonnet to fit a deep box, & make a shallow/super sized "collar" to fit underneath?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back up.

I've made my first "bonnet" to fit a national deep & shallow as I will leave the shallow on over winter to use as an eke for feeding purposes. I will put insulation in when I remove the feeder.

Before I make more would it be easier/simpler to make the bonnet to fit a deep box, & make a shallow/super sized "collar" to fit underneath?

I run mine like that. Joined together with foil tape.. I keep roof/bonnet on all year.

Why not just buy poly hives and be done with all this faffing around? Apologies to those who like faffing.

I run mine like that. Joined together with foil tape.. I keep roof/bonnet on all year.

I have one pair like that. I didn't like the join and wasn't sure how it compromised the overall insulation so it remains in the workshop.
I had three colonies over winter in wooden boxes the year before last, two this year now only the one. The rest are poly.
I do like my last wooden hive though; it's a work of art from Tom Bick when he made hives.

Why not just buy poly hives and be done with all this faffing around? Apologies to those who like faffing.

To be honest I really like the wooden hives, it was a conscious decision to buy them rather than poly.

Although a little insulation does no harm. ;)

Thanks for asking but I don't think they will come to any harm if insulated for the winter. Best of both worlds. :)

Last edited:
Thought I'd post this here than start a fresh post ....anyone needing celotex in East Yorkshire I got some four by one foot strips for free at Driffield mkm builders merchants ... the same depth as a super...plenty left in a skip

Latest posts

Back