Cell punch system

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it seems the only way you can do this is to make your own cutter.

But as i mentioned earlier why not just learn to graft, it gives the queen rearer so much more flexibility.

PH

And doesn't leave your comb looking like an emmental cheese:rofl:

It strikes me that the technique shown in the German movie, where a rectangle of comb containing eggs or young grubs are incised and the comb shaved before being mounted on a plug is effectively a linear batch version of the cell punch and is a lot more simple to my way of thinking. A slim sharp knife being a readily available item of equipment.

the section of comb removed will be quickly replaced by the workers.

Mike a
I want to expand so i need to learn grafting or another type of Q rearing.I would like to breed Q also but i have a lot to learn so lets see how this coming yr goes.
Ph i think grafting is the best option and i might have ago at it .
I have had a look at the link before it's still a option but i think grafting is the right way to go.

Harding

Hi Mike,
Yes I tried it this year, I went to lot of trouble following John Harding method.
It did work, but to be fair the winter we had put paid to any numbers being raised. I gave up and reverted to use a national BB.
The idea with the queens at either end and queenless brood in the centre sounded great. Although my three boxes were stuffed with bees there was not enough heat going on inside the 5 frame Nucs, at least not until late May/June. Nearly all my efforts of grafting 30/40 eggs or larvae did not have very good results, on several occasions.
I still have all the gear, but I use them for Nucs now.
Bob.

I am sure that for Mr Harding it works and works well most years.

I personally have never seen cups being waxed around the rim before an acceptance, in fact it is my guide to the acceptance rate after 12 hours.

I am very wary when I see open brood being mentioned along with grafts as how can the bees attention be focused on the grafts if there are several hundred other larvae all requiring attention at the same.

I refer you back to the sticky. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7767

PH

Folkes

Having tried both Grafting and cell punch I personally find the cell punch easier because
1. it can be carried out in situ in the apiary and i found to be quicker and less Faf.
2. My eyesights not that good.

and i had a better successrate with raising queens using the CP method.

also you can make the punches out of the microbore copper pipe that comes in long coils.

Latest posts

Back