Cautiously optimistic newbie!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my niggles with poly is that even propolis can sometimes bond too well and when you separate boxes you find that one pulls some material off the other.

James
I’ve had poly for 14 years and that’s happened to me only with Swienty boxes. I can understand why some folk abandon those and return to wood but the Abelo boxes are much tougher.
My remaining Swienty have a tough plastic eke glued/screwed for top space so that doesn’t happen.

One of my niggles with poly is that even propolis can sometimes bond too well and when you separate boxes you find that one pulls some material off the other.

James
The Abelo national poly hives have hard plastic mating faces to avoid tearing bits out of the poly when they are separated.

With me going for Honey Paw Langstroth hives, what's compatibility like with things like Langstroth wooden crown boards, ekes, etc.?

I'm creating my next shopping list. :D

what's compatibility like with things like Langstroth wooden crown boards, ekes, etc.?
Dimensions of Lang. poly vary between producers and will be incompatible with wood Lang. unless you hit lucky or make your own; measure the HP and compare.

Frames are also variable - ninety sub-species incompatible with each other! Read also this US roundup of variables. Even if many of those are extinct or far enough from the UK to be harmless, you must make certain that your frames match the Finnish Honey Paw box, and for that read the Honey Paw guide to frame and hive dimensions.

One year I transferred frames from newer Lang. Paradise poly boxes into older Lyson Lang. poly boxes, and it wasn't much fun to find that the top bars (frames heavy and covered in bees) were 5mm too long.

If in doubt, ask for guidance from Paul Beardmore at Modern Beekeeping, the main importers of Honey Paw.

propolis can sometimes bond too well and when you separate boxes you find that one pulls some material off the other
A thin smear of vaseline on the mating surfaces will reduce that problem.

I placed an order with Thorne this morning for their sale. Because the weather was terrible, my wife suggested we drive to collect the order and have a look around the shop. (Am I the luckiest man alive?! :LOL:)

What a great place to visit. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I got a few bits, including the Dadant smoker.

Here are some photos of the little museum they have set up. (I really enjoyed that part.)

IMG_3863.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg
IMG_3859.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3855.jpegIMG_3854.jpeg
IMG_3853.jpeg

I also got my Honey Paw hives painted:

IMG_3844.jpeg

I went for a sandstone colour and I'm really pleased with it. My wife helped and it took us about 3 hours to do two coats on three full hives.

What a great place to visit. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I got a few bits, including the Dadant smoker.

Here are some photos of the little museum they have set up. (I really enjoyed that part.)
Nice photos. Interesting collection of antique beekeeping equipment.

When can you tell you're completely obsessed with beekeeping? When you start 3D printing miniature bee hives... :LOL: (I even 3D printed the entrance reducer...)

IMG_3962.jpg

I'm even 3D printing the frames, a feeder and crown board...

IMG_3963.jpg

I'm going to do that now! My wife will think I've lost the plot...
I’m going to have a go at raising my own queens this year. I’ll be into my 4th year of bee keeping so know just enough to be dangerous!!

Have a look at the commercially available mating nucs for sizes etc. The Apiarist Blog has an article comparing the main brands. Good luck

I'm going to do that now! My wife will think I've lost the plot...

You've done the right thing. Since beekeeping started for me, all of the materials, tools and creative and construction techniques I already possessed have been examined so as to determine in what way they could be of benefit to beekeeping.
It therefore follows that all new equipment obtained for whatever other reason must be interrogated to see where it may have its part to play. For instance, I got an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas; it's something that heats a water-based cleaning fluid and knocks off deep-grained dirt in components by the use of high frequency vibrations. It's far too small for cleaning queen excluders, but its three litre tank will fit three jars of honey and allow me to gently warm them with its accurate, digital thermostat. :) I might even experiment with the vibrations switched on too......"Ultrasonic Honey"...that would be a good one for Trading Standards.

I decided to try my hand at printing something useful for keeping bees... A bee escape. 😀

IMG_4245.jpeg
IMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg
Now whether I'll ever use it or not remains to be seen, but I had the filament going spare so decided to print it.

I've just about got everything I need to actually get started, so printing stuff like that is a combination of boredom, anticipation and naive enthusiasm. 😆

My beekeeping course starts on 17 Feb... I literally can't wait.

Does the 3d printer work out cheaper than buying or is it just for fun? I see it is an FDM printer. Resin would cost a fortune

Does the 3d printer work out cheaper than buying or is it just for fun? I see it is an FDM printer. Resin would cost a fortune
It's a separate hobby, so I decided to explore ways to make use of it for beekeeping. I certainly wouldn't invest in a 3D printer just for printing beekeeping supplies, I don't think it would ever make sense (at least not for me personally).

It is a FDM printer. Resin is on the Wishlist, mostly for ornamental and decorative purposes.

When can you tell you're completely obsessed with beekeeping? When you start 3D printing miniature bee hives... :LOL: (I even 3D printed the entrance reducer...)

View attachment 34850

I'm even 3D printing the frames, a feeder and crown board...

View attachment 34851
You need to get a hobby .... have you thought about beekeeping ? Will get you out more !

It's a separate hobby, so I decided to explore ways to make use of it for beekeeping. I certainly wouldn't invest in a 3D printer just for printing beekeeping supplies, I don't think it would ever make sense (at least not for me personally).

It is a FDM printer. Resin is on the Wishlist, mostly for ornamental and decorative purposes.
One of my other pastimes is miniature painting and tabletop games. A resin printer has always been on my wish list for that.

Latest posts

Back