Caught my first swarm today!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatbigchicken

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Unfortunately I think it was from my inept attempt at an A/S. :dupe:

The neighbour knocked on the door and said "Do you keep bees? I think we've got a load of them in our garden. I'm allergic to bees"

About a rugby ball size cluster of very calm bees under neighbours hedge, about an inch from the floor.

I put down a sheet and scooped as many as I could into my skep which I inverted onto the sheet propped up slightly with a stick.

Nipped back home to set up a hive (my nuc was at the inlaws), about an hour later most of the bees were in the skep, wrapped up and walked back home with them, shook them into the hive and left the sheet (with a ramp up to the entrance) and the skep in front of the hive. They have started to walk up the ramp so I'm taking that as a good sign.

I'll have a proper look for any queen in my now very small A/S, then combine the two when the weather allows.

All in all I'm very happy and we got to meet the neighbours who are very nice and didn't seem worried at all considering his allergy.

:party:

No, sorry no pics, I was too focused on trying to get it right and give a good impression to the neighbours.

Latest posts

Back