Catching A Swarm In The Rain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There is a large swarm 20ft up a tree in my brother's garden which has been there for a day in the wind and rain. Should I wait for a break in the weather before collecting it or can I do it in the rain?
Am thinking that any missed bees wouldn't be able to fly to the nuc and if I missed the queen it would be curtains for the colony?

do it in the rain they will probably be gone if it is a fine day

Why not place a bait hive out in the garden to try and tempt them in while you make your mind up.

If you can get at the swarm in the tree - go for it.
As has been mentioned they may go before you have the chance to box them.

There is a large swarm 20ft up a tree in my brother's garden which has been there for a day in the wind and rain. Should I wait for a break in the weather before collecting it or can I do it in the rain?
Am thinking that any missed bees wouldn't be able to fly to the nuc and if I missed the queen it would be curtains for the colony?

How do you plan to get to them? On a ladder, in the rain, 20' up carrying equipment! hope your well insured!:)

You forgot the wellies! They are now collected and they were a big swarm! Defo worth a silver spoon!!

Latest posts

Back