Carpenter bee keeping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeet9000

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Ok so not sure if this is the right category, but I caught this carpenter bee (Xylocopa I believe) burrowing into a bench on the porch. And before my grandma kills it im hoping to get it to burrow into a different piece of wood since every pollinator is good for the garden. Any tips/ideas what to do? I have no knowledge so I signed up here to ask.

Attachments

• 20230524_174258.jpg
    20230524_174258.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok so not sure if this is the right category, but I caught this carpenter bee (Xylocopa I believe) burrowing into a bench on the porch. And before my grandma kills it im hoping to get it to burrow into a different piece of wood since every pollinator is good for the garden. Any tips/ideas what to do? I have no knowledge so I signed up here to ask.
I just cant find any answers online so uhh yeah ^^'

They normally only make their nests in rotten or well weathered and softened wood. They can make quite a mess. If you want to get rid of them without killing them spray area of the nests with peppermint oil or teatree oil ... they won't like it and they will move out. Fill the holes that are left behind with wood filler or as the smell of the aromatic oil wears off they will be back. If you put a pile of rotten wood somewhere in the same area there's a chance that they will find it and make their nests in it. They are not particularly great pollinators but they are all part of nature's diversity and should be cherished not killed.

Latest posts

Back