Cappings and honey ji

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys

I have a bucket with a mix of cappings and honey? How do I separate the Honey from the cappings? I have heard methods of putting them inside tights, for example and hanging it for the honey to drip out?

would it the easiest process be to put them inside of some sort of material or mesh to drip out? And then wash them and heat with additional water?

Finding it difficult to see any other method than the above!

Thanks

I've put mine into a feeder and given back to the bees. A day or so and capping will be dry to store.

I put mine on a mesh over a bucket in my warming cabinet to get most of the honey out before feeding back to the bees in an English feeder as above!

Use one of these, just redistribute the cappings for a few days and collect the honey from the bottom tank.

Uncapping-Tray-with-spike.jpg

Thanks

I should of mentioned I have no 'special' equipment.

What is the above, please?

It’s an uncapping tray - that particular one is from Abelo but all the major sellers do them. They have a basic filter that the honey goes through allowing you to collect it once drained from the cappings. The spike is to rest your frame on to stop it sliding whilst decapping.

I have just put a pile of cappings into the oven in a silicone cake tin at 65 degrees...
When it melts take it out and let it cool....wax tablet on the top and cooking honey on the bottom

You could also stir them in lukewarm water, strain and then you have the beginnings of a batch of mead.

I have just put a pile of cappings into the oven in a silicone cake tin at 65 degrees...
When it melts take it out and let it cool....wax tablet on the top and cooking honey on the bottom

That's what I used to do before I used a hot air gun for uncapping. Now I don't have to do anything! No brainer as far as I am concerned
E

Hi guys

I have a bucket with a mix of cappings and honey? How do I separate the Honey from the cappings? I have heard methods of putting them inside tights, for example and hanging it for the honey to drip out?

would it the easiest process be to put them inside of some sort of material or mesh to drip out? And then wash them and heat with additional water?

Finding it difficult to see any other method than the above!

Thanks

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45005

Post #5

2 hondy buckets .. bit of mesh ... half a dozen stainless steel nuts and bolts .. total cost less than a tenner. Uncapping tray £50+

No brainer ...

Be aware of the size of that uncapping tray, the tank part could be half the depth IMO.

yes, the tank is way too deep - they do another one with an uncapping rack not spike and that has a much shallower tank.

yes, the tank is way too deep - they do another one with an uncapping rack not spike and that has a much shallower tank.

If the tank was half the depth, it would be much easier to store as well. You'd have to be uncapping on a massive scale to need a tank that size. Thornes do a decent one, shallower but twice the price IIRC and the Bee Equipment one is even bigger.

I use a muslin cloth fastened onto the top of a nappy bucket (because it has a lid). I put the cappings onto the cloth, which sags quite a bit, put the lid on then put the whole thing in the greenhouse for a day (if it's hot) or a few days if it's not.

One thing I don't do is try to give it back to the bees. Without going into detail -- far too long-winded -- I ended up with bees all over my garden because I trod in cappings and spread it everywhere without realising until it was too late. Bloody nightmare that lasted for days until it rained.

I use a muslin cloth fastened onto the top of a nappy bucket (because it has a lid). I put the cappings onto the cloth, which sags quite a bit, put the lid on then put the whole thing in the greenhouse for a day (if it's hot) or a few days if it's not.

One thing I don't do is try to give it back to the bees. Without going into detail -- far too long-winded -- I ended up with bees all over my garden because I trod in cappings and spread it everywhere without realising until it was too late. Bloody nightmare that lasted for days until it rained.

Thanks, really helpful!

I have made many mistakes when harvesting honey at home, they can smell even the smallest of honey/wax for miles!

Is the nappy bucket made of food grade plastic if you wanted to use the honey?

It would not usually need to be as part of it's original design brief!

Back