Candy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My girls are mad about my home made candy (from a net recipe). Particularly useful as it is foul down here in devon and they haven't been foraging for around a week due to the weather. Thought I'd give them a little boost and added 5 mls. of pure Ukranian wheat vodka to the brew - will let U know the effect if any. :D
Pete.

No Problem WPC - nothing special about it: 1Kg Sugar: 500 ml. Water: 1 teaspoon wine vinegar:1/2 teaspoon salt.
Boil it all up until mixture hits 114°C (I have a digital thermometer).
Allow to cool until around 85°C then with an electric mixer beat until mixture reaches 65°C - will be nice and white with the air mixed in.
I pour mine into a greaseproof paper lined tin and when set store it wrapped in the lining and covered with cling film. Tends to go a bit soggy after a couple of weeks but I only make it up in small batches and use almost immediately.
Hope this is of use.

Pete.

Last edited:
My girls are mad about my home made candy (from a net recipe). Particularly useful as it is foul down here in devon and they haven't been foraging for around a week due to the weather. Thought I'd give them a little boost and added 5 mls. of pure Ukranian wheat vodka to the brew - will let U know the effect if any. :D
Pete.

You are lucky - mine have not foraged at all yet. Some have emptied their bowels but that's about all.

Freethorpe - just a suspicion that with a hint of summer (the wheat flavour) they might appreciate it as it has been so dismal down herebee-smillie
P.

Freethorpe - just a suspicion that with a hint of summer (the wheat flavour) they might appreciate it as it has been so dismal down herebee-smillie
P.

They might appreciate the wheat flavour (?) but I don't know about the 40% alcohol!

FB - no alcohol as gone in boiling! I reckon that bees can 'sniff' at a molecular level judging by the speed that they come to me once one has stung me and released it's pheromone so I was thinking that the wheat (extract) in the booze may be appreciated. Just a thought........ no wonder panacea.
BTW - lovely day today and my girls going mad bringing in lots of crocus pollen and light grey pollen as well. Almost like a summers day!:coolgleamA:

P.

Finally got some reasonable fondant using your recipe, without:seeya: the vinegar or fire water. Thanks matey. :seeya:

SkiBee - think it better if you use the vinegar as I believe the acetic acid in it does something to the sucrose (maybe helps turn it into fructose) it's only a teaspoonful - have heard that cream of tarter can be used for the same reason. maybe next time if you need to use fondant again if the weather turns cold for a spell.
regards

P.

I'm sure the scientists have conducted rigourous research and review, but as for the reporter .......

"Scientists have known of the amazing sense of smell of the bee for centuries. The insects use it all the time in the wild when they're gathering pollen to make honey."

That will be journalistic licence then!

Whoa guys - just a flippant remark about a flippant experiment - don't take it seriously please. Tried to put on the latest brew but my girls are still cleaning off the greaseproof so did not want to disturb them.(8:00 pm 22/2/11)

P.

Last edited:
SkiBee - It's a temperature thing ....... very critical - glad it worked for you
P.

Back