Can someone help me ID this hornet thing please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 soon to be 3
I spotted this loitering around my hive a about 3 weeks ago or so a couple of days in a row. Anyway I managed to kill it and take a pic. I know its not an Asian hornet and assumed it was a euro hornet but all the pics on the net look different. Can someone help me ID it and tell me how they arrived at their conclusion (what markings give it away?).

It was a big old thing, that's it on the end of a saw. And it had huge eyes!

Thanks.

2013-07-27+15.03.05.jpg

Last edited:
I spotted this loitering around my hive a about 3 weeks ago or so a couple of days in a row. Anyway I managed to kill it and take a pic. I know its not an Asian hornet and assumed it was a euro hornet but all the pics on the net look different. Can someone help me ID it and tell me how they arrived at their conclusion (what markings give it away?).

It was a big old thing, that's it on the end of a saw. And it had huge eyes!

Thanks.

2013-07-27+15.03.05.jpg

Hornet Hover Fly Volucella zonaria

http://www.buglife.org.uk/discoverbugs/bugofthemonth/Hornet+Hoverfly

invador from europe, now spreading North, Brum is about as far north as it gets

Last edited:
That's the bugger, thanks! So it couldn't sting me if it wanted to, i needn't have worried. lol

It was definitely hanging around the hives, I saw it hovering around the front and then land near the entrance 3 days in a row. Very strange, but definitely a hornet hoverfly.

Have also had a few in the garden this year.

Adults are nectar feeders and the larvae live in wasp nests and feed on the debris at the bottom of the nest.

Had one in our garden for the first time last week but ours was more orange than yellow.

Back