Calling Young Beekeepers of the North West!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellifera397

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello Everyone,

Most people would agree that there are too few young people in beekeeping and generally what associations can provide for them is not always what they want. Many young beekeepers or prospective young beekeepers are put off by the 'seasoned' nature of BKA membership. BKAs povide a huge amount in terms of education, support and experience with the bees themselves, but for young people the social atmosphere isn't always ideal. A young beekeepers association would be fantastic IMHO.

Therefore, we will be holding the first meeting of the Young British Beekeepers' Association 'North West' at Fir Tree Farm, Kings Moss, Rainford at 2pm on Saturday 30th August. The meeting will be a simple hive inspection carried out by experienced members of Ormskirk and Croston BKA, followed by a discussion on subjects of interest to attendees. I realise that this is a long journey for some young beekeepers in the region and therefore would politely request that those who cannot attend this meeting contact me in order that the next meeting be at a more suitable place and time for the young beekeepers of the region, parents are very welcome to attend the meeting. Whilst I do hope that the attendance at the upcoming meeting is good I see the creation of YBBKA NW as a long term project and therefore would be pleased to hear from as many young beekeepers as possible even if they cannot attend.

Yours faithfully,

Mellifera397
Junior Member of Ormskirk and Croston BKA

The details of the meeting are:

2pm on Saturday 30th August 2014
Fir Tree Farm
Pimbo Rd
Kings Moss
St.Helens
Merseyside
WA11 8RG

Bee suits, gloves and other equipment is available for the use of attendees, however we do not have any junior sized suits.

If you are a parent, family friend or know a young beekeeper then please pass this message on to them. If they would like my email address then please drop me a pm.

M

Good luck with it ... if our association is anything to go by there's more Octogenarians than those under 30 ! Hope this proves to be a successful initiative and you can roll it out through the BBKA (but I'm not holding my breath on that one !)

Have you considered contacting your local Young Farmers Associations ... they are at least in the right frame of mind ... and may even be able to help with other things like Apiary sites.

We've got a national BBKA facebook page, but at the moment there aren't any organised regional associations,yet. Hopefully we can get something in BBKA News.

I shall look into the young farmers, thanks.

M

It might be good to define 'young'. Under fifty?

No O90O young in beekeeping is under 60.

Sorry Millifera397 I didn't mean to be rude. I think its a great idea, and I hope the BBKA give you as much help as possible and then role it out across the UK.

I'm 40 in October. Am I a young beekeeper or over the hill now? lol

Would love to attend this but I couldn't get there. The whole idea of my beekeeping group at school is to get more young people interested and supporting bees. Good luck with your event.

I'm 40 in October. Am I a young beekeeper or over the hill now? lol

Would love to attend this but I couldn't get there. The whole idea of my beekeeping group at school is to get more young people interested and supporting bees. Good luck with your event.

Thanks for the goodwill. I set up an apiary at school, with help (see Victor). It has been a great success and an errant swarm on the wall of one of the buildings was a brilliant publicity stunt haha.

The more contact young people have with bees the more beekeepers we will have in the future, unless we put them off of course.

M

Power to your elbow !
I wonder if an approach to St Helens Borough council for some funding from their Brighter Borough fund or the country stewardship set up?
VM

Power to your elbow !
I wonder if an approach to St Helens Borough council for some funding from their Brighter Borough fund or the country stewardship set up?
VM

Thanks VM.

I think an approach to some form of grant giving organisation will be required in the near future, but depending on membership it may be more appropriate to approach a different regional authority.

We shall go where our membership takes us. Hopefully not too far from wigan :)

M

Henry the BBKA has put a group on Fb for young bee keepers. 25 years old being the max . Just read it on twitter .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mellifera,
Hope your event is a great success. Beekeeping can be done as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme which could be a 'selling point'. Used to be very popular, don't know if it still is. In any event beats doing a paper round I am sure or looking after a flour baby!

Hi Mellifera,
Hope your event is a great success. Beekeeping can be done as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme which could be a 'selling point'. Used to be very popular, don't know if it still is. In any event beats doing a paper round I am sure or looking after a flour baby!

We are going to have beekeeping as a choice for pupils to do as part of their d of e at school. If they so choose.

M

Hi Henry,
I've just had a thought have you got in touch with an of the other local associations in the area regarding bee suits? I'm sure most will at least have one of two, or maybe they might be held at a county level, and I'm sure they'll let you borrow them for the day. I hope it goes well,

Best of luck
Georgia

Thanks for the goodwill. I set up an apiary at school, with help (see Victor). It has been a great success and an errant swarm on the wall of one of the buildings was a brilliant publicity stunt haha.

The more contact young people have with bees the more beekeepers we will have in the future, unless we put them off of course.

M

Was just going to ask how you fund it.

Latest posts

Back