Buying a queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I am looking to split my hive.

Who would you recommend to supply me with a new queen? How much would I be looking to pay and how long does she usually take to arrive?

Thanks!

Hi,

Who would you recommend to supply me with a new queen? How much would I be looking to pay and how long does she usually take to arrive?

Thanks!

Depends on what you want in your new queens characteristics...there's no definitive answer ... most of the good breeders will have a variety of flavours...I've been pleased with queens I've had from Exmoor bees, Jonathan Getty, Ged Marshall and Beckys Bees. Between £35 and £45 is the going rate if you are not looking for a breeder. Normally if they have what you are after then you might find they only post out once a week and then you have 2 or 3 days in the post ...

I was very happy with my Buckfast from BS Honeybees. She’s laying very well and the bees are quite calm and productive. Ordered lunchtime and she arrived during the morning two days later (it’s next day if you order before 8am).

Hi,

Thanks!

ive got 2 jonathon getty AMM's arriving in 4 weeks. 35£ per Q
He seems in VERY high demand tho.

just in time for winter.

What's the reason for splitting now? Perhaps the flow is over in Fareham and you want to go into winter with another colony. If the flow is on, a colony kept strong will produce honey for you and the bees.

They are still piling it in in my part of Fareham... No sign at all of the season slacking off.

I phoned Becky from Becky’s Bees a few weeks ago around lunch time. She gave me great advice and the queen arrived following morning. Really pleased with service and advice.

I usually gain an extra colony from a split around this time of year, however I have one nuc which I've been trying to get to raise their own queen which isn't working and I have two very strong colonies so would like an additional hive. I was planning on taking some bees from the strong hive and combining with the failed nuc

Thanks

What are they like the Amm queen's I'm trying to buy some from him at the mo.?

They're in demand, you are better off pre ordering them at the end of the season for next year.
They'rer pretty good, a bit runny on the comb but apart from that, good honey producers, not at all agressive (quite laid back in fact) and definitely not swarmy.

What are they like the Amm queen's I'm trying to buy some from him at the mo.?

its a first for me mate.

They're in demand, you are better off pre ordering them at the end of the season for next year.
They'rer pretty good, a bit runny on the comb but apart from that, good honey producers, not at all agressive (quite laid back in fact) and definitely not swarmy.

This is music to my ears.

Back