Busy First Week

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
1 soon to be 1.5
Just started this malarky and already im in need of some advice.

Last wed i moved my newly purchased bees into my brood box etc, they had already been given a super and were working at it which im keeping. i didn't spend long looking at the frames as we moved them as there was lots to do and by the end the air was thick with bees. I also added a second super my super which had frames foundation in it.

Last night (Tue) done my first inspection. Very few bees in 2nd super with foundation just starting draw one/two sheets. 1st super well filled with bees and very heavy with honey only looked at a few frames but id say 1/4 capped. Bood box bursting with bees and a good few queen cells with larve and jelly, on the positive side, although i didn't see HM after the transfer she is in there.

Im heading back to the bees tonight with my mentor to activate some swarm control. Having looked threw Hooper last night i've spotted my mistake super with only foundation the wrong idea nothing to attract the bees to it.

What im wondering is would it be ok to swap some of the frames of non drawn foundation down to the 1st filled supper, and and move a few filled frames up into the 2nd super to encourage them to draw out the foundation and move up into the 2nd super?

Be Kind
Thanks in advance
Mark

If they need the space they'll move up regardless of whether the foundation is drawn or not - not everybody will have the luxury of drawn foundation for the super anyway. Fiddling about with the frames won't stop them for wanting to swarm now so personally I'd leave the supers as they are and concentrate on your artificial swarm
Good luck and welcome to the mad world of beekeeping :)

Thanks Jenkins

Planning on the AS anyway was just thinking i could perhaps encourage them further. Would there be any harm in moving a few frames up and down?

It is pretty much a standard practice to move some drawn frames up to encourage the commencement of work in the new super.

Put two drawn up with a foundation in the middle in the center of the super.

Intersperse the removed foundations into the lower box again between drawn comb and again in the middle. It's warmer there.

Good luck

PH

Thanks PH

Thats what i was thinking of doing just confirming it would do no harm.

Good stuff

Looks like she beat me to it.

Went back last night to artificial swarm two cells capped and at a guess 1/4 bees missing. Must have missed a cell on the night we moved the frames as it was only 7 days.

Lesson learned always have a AS gear with you during the summer silly season!!

Nedman - I recommend you should clip your queens. Then you would keep the bees and the honey they run away with and it stops them being a nuisance to neighbours etc. I do not understand why people are so squeamish about it.

"Must have missed a cell on the night we moved the frames as it was only 7 days."

only takes 5 days from egg to capped. presumably you had queen cups present a week back?

I will clip my queens, problem is i only took ownership a week ago and previous beek did clip her.

Yes as i said i must have missed a queen cup on the moving night as it 6 days later it wasn't capped and 7 days later it was.

I would have AS on the 6th day but didn't have the necessary equipment.

I will clip my queens, problem is i only took ownership a week ago and previous beek did clip her.

If she was clipped the bees should have returned...only she will have gone. HOWEVER I found a clipped marked queen of mine in a garage wall cutout at our out apiary the other day...so they can sometimes flop and crawl somewhere suitable! Back home they seem to be superseding her.

Latest posts

Back