bumble bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeeSK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi new to this
Do bumble bees make honey or it is their streamline brothers that makes it?
Asking this as I notice that bumble bees are flying into my door step
So was wondering if I could make them into a hive
If I can when will it be good time to move them
Plus what kind of equipment do I need - 2nd preferable plus a mentor to show me the ropes
Any help would be appreciated
Thanking everybody
Am located in glasgow

Hi new to this
Do bumble bees make honey or it is their streamline brothers that makes it?
Asking this as I notice that bumble bees are flying into my door step
So was wondering if I could make them into a hive
If I can when will it be good time to move them
Plus what kind of equipment do I need - 2nd preferable plus a mentor to show me the ropes
Any help would be appreciated
Thanking everybody
Am located in glasgow

B umblebees make honey but do not store it for winter feeding of the workers as only queens overwinter none of the workers survive

so the answer is no, you cannot make a hive of bummble bees and extract honey, just enjoy them

they are also extremely aggresive if you break the little pots of honey they do make

Good luck with the bees!

My understanding is that bumble bees nest in colonies of 50-200 individuals, colonies that at best would contain only a teaspoon of honey. Unlike honey bees, only the queen survives over winter and starts a new colony each spring. It is quite difficult to encourage bumble bees to nest in artificial bee boxes, with at bet 1 in 10 being occupied (and I believe that the best occupancy rate was achieved in a botanical garden). Probably best to stick to honey bees (Not literally)

:iagree:bumble bees dont live in hives they live in nests, nests can be moved but only if necessary to avoid being in a difficult place or situation, eg stinging etc . sometimes they can be solitary bees too. look at a few websites to get a better understanding about bumble bees, welcome to the forum by the way

thanks for your advice will have look in the websites - want to remove the nest as my kids aint keen on them!!! disappointed that aint worker bees!! Oh well!!!

Bumble Bees

thanks for your advice will have look in the websites - want to remove the nest as my kids aint keen on them!!! disappointed that aint worker bees!! Oh well!!!

Please be cautious when moving the nest of Bumble bees.

The bees will not bother you unless you bother them.

The bumble bee is currently at risk.

The Bees will sting if provoked.

Should you move them the success rate for moving is about 70%.

The best time to move them is after 9pm when they are all home.

I have assisted a young lady and her husband with Bumble bees this evening. Both were concerned due to the doctor advising them that their son was allergic to stings. (Sounded like a localised reaction to me, but I would not disagree with the doctors advice.

I received a nice sting on my eye for my troubles.

The best advice is

You could leave them where they are, they will die out by the end of October, other than the new Queens, which will emerge and then hibernate until next year. It is unlikely the nest will be re-occupied or that the Queens will hibernate on your garden unless you have several acres.

If I have occasion to move Bumble bees I use a variety of boxes etc. The bees will happily move into a bird box. I also use bio-degradable plant pots. Provided they are sheltered and dry they should be happy.

Do you have any photos?

Last edited:
Bumble Bees

Please be cautious when moving the nest of Bumble bees.

The bees will not bother you unless you bother them.

The bumble bee is currently at risk.

The Bees will sting if provoked.

Should you move them the success rate for moving is about 70%.

The best time to move them is after 9pm when they are all home.

I have assisted a young lady and her husband with Bumble bees this evening. Both were concerned due to the doctor advising them that their son was allergic to stings. (Sounded like a localised reaction to me, but I would not disagree with the doctors advice.

I received a nice sting on my eye for my troubles.

The best advice is

You could leave them where they are, they will die out by the end of October other than the new Queens, which will emerge and then hibernate until next year.

Latest posts

Back