Bumble bee vs honey bee colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever have people asking the difference between a honey bee colony and a bumblebee colony, here is a useful video.

Ignore the audio. The chap is talking about nematodes.

https://youtu.be/m91PsvXZbO4

I so glad you said he was talking about nematodes otherwise I might have thought he needed to go to specsavers.

Basic visual difference between bumblebee and honey bee colonies is bumblebee colonies are small and honey bee colonies are bloody huge. I know, I have two honeybee hives and a wild bumblebee hive and you can stand six feet away right in front of the bumblebee nest and they'll float majestically past you, I wouldn't try that with a honeybee hive. It's a shame honeybees don't have the temperament of bumbles but then they have a lot to protect I suppose.

Try explaining that to folk who want you to collect a swarm... that turns out to be bumblebees :). I thought it might be a useful link to send them. You are lucky having both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try explaining that to folk who want you to collect a swarm... that turns out to be bumblebees :). I thought it might be a useful link to send them. You are lucky having both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't stand 6' in front of a tree bumble hive!

approx 80 bumble bees in my bumble bee hive a present, versus thousands in my honey bee hive!

and although my bumble bees are usually quieter than the two honey bee hives I have not this morning, bumble bees were very active, but I've noticed they do get up much earlier, and work later seem to handle the cold much better, than honey bees.

at present they are out foraging at 9.45-10pm, and honey bees have long gone to bed at 8.00pm

Last edited:
just a random question,
But do honey bees attract bumble bee colonys in to the area or other bees?

just a random question,
But do honey bees attract bumble bee colonys in to the area or other bees?
I don't know of any studies, but I wouldn't have thought so. They all have different ways of communicating the availability of resources. There is a bit of flower competition that goes on, and potential for passing on diseases, so it would be more in the wild bees interests to avoid areas with honey bees.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

We have 4 honeybee hives and 4 bumblebee nests (that I know of).

They are all very good natured. Both my wife and I can stand within a foot of the hives and nests and they just get in with life and ignore us. Things get a bit livelier when you start mucking about inside the hives of course!

I've got more bees than I want to be honest so two of the hives are on the path between the house and the garden shed, but you can walk right past them no problem.

Latest posts

Back