Building a cob oven

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies, what is k rend?.
I did wonder If I could give the cob another coat of something to make it weather proof, I was also wondering about a layer of dpc in the plinth ours is going onto made up ground.
K rend is to a fairly new type of breathable render and is as Hoover is to vacuum cleaners. There are other manufacturers, but the feature as represented by the various manufacturers is that the render promotes rain to run off the surface whilst allowing the inside structure to "breathe" I doubt any of this is actually true...but the stuff partially does what is stated and prevents the cob from becoming a liquid mush, still allowing the fire to evaporate any moisture through the coating. Any builders supply will be able to supply a similar product. I actually got mine from a builder who was doing some work nearby. You'll probably need a bag full. DPC should do the trick, below the floor insulation. You will still need to move the "coals" around in order to conduct sufficient heat into the floor as the oven works by hot air convection and radiation heating the upper shell and to a lesser extent the floor then out of the chimney, drawing in cold air over the floor with obvious cooling effects. A pizza incidentally cooks in less than a minute.

K rend is to a fairly new type of breathable render and is as Hoover is to vacuum cleaners. There are other manufacturers, but the feature as represented by the various manufacturers is that the render promotes rain to run off the surface whilst allowing the inside structure to "breathe" I doubt any of this is actually true...but the stuff partially does what is stated and prevents the cob from becoming a liquid mush, still allowing the fire to evaporate any moisture through the coating. Any builders supply will be able to supply a similar product. I actually got mine from a builder who was doing some work nearby. You'll probably need a bag full. DPC should do the trick, below the floor insulation. You will still need to move the "coals" around in order to conduct sufficient heat into the floor as the oven works by hot air convection and radiation heating the upper shell and to a lesser extent the floor then out of the chimney, drawing in cold air over the floor with obvious cooling effects. A pizza incidentally cooks in less than a minute.
Thanks oggbar much appreciated.

Back