Building a cob oven

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes 8, 4 were A's, he could of gone to whatever uni he wanted but he works for a housing company from home he's only 20 and even had his face in the local paper, he will go far and also not have to graft manually like me.
Im very proud of him :)
Don't let him be a politician

He wants to be some sort of housing officer, who knows life changes I know mine has quite a bit since my 20s.
Fair enough. Good luck to him. My brother was a housing officer for about 15 years but chucked it in as people were getting too many "expectations " and "rights". He loved it but in the end it got too much for him. .

Heavens....long hours and huge stress levels.He'll be insane by the time he's 30. He'd be better outside with you
I agree, he would, he did spend time with me and the bees last season inspecting moving bees even pretty good at finding queen's.
But you can see he is a pen pusher excuse the old fashioned term.

I agree, he would, he did spend time with me and the bees last season inspecting moving bees even pretty good at finding queen's.
But you can see he is a pen pusher excuse the old fashioned term.
I’d grab him by the lapels and tell him to be a lawyer

Here's mine,I built it 5 years ago and still going strong. The clay came from a small cave in the limestone. Cooks perfect Pizzas, bread and meat joints (overnight)......I don't use it enough. Needs well seasoned wood to cook at its best.

Attachments

• cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 23
Any thoughts or has anyone else built one.
Thanks
C. G. F
Cob oven
I'd just say, prepare the children for the fact that it may not last long, without you building a really good rain cover to protect it.
My aunt and uncle built a beautiful pizza oven, which despite having a canopy over it, didn't make it through it's second winter.
It can just be a little soul destroying to put in all of that effort and then find it destroyed by the elements.

I'd just say, prepare the children for the fact that it may not last long, without you building a really good rain cover to protect it.
My aunt and uncle built a beautiful pizza oven, which despite having a canopy over it, didn't make it through it's second winter.
It can just be a little soul destroying to put in all of that effort and then find it destroyed by the elements.
Thanks for that, I did wonder how long it would last, even in the video I posted they were cooking in the cob oven that they had built and there were a few holes with smoke coming through the top.
Being were we live and very exposed i will make some sort of cover to at least help.
Thanks again.

Edit: The reason we chose this type is because the stone and clay are free, plus the little guys will enjoy it, if it doesn't last we will build another one by which time they will be skilled stone masons and cob builders:)

Thanks for that, I did wonder how long it would last, even in the video I posted they were cooking in the cob oven that they had built and there were a few holes with smoke coming through the top.
Being were we live and very exposed i will make some sort of cover to at least help.
Thanks again.

Edit: The reason we chose this type is because the stone and clay are free, plus the little guys will enjoy it, if it doesn't last we will build another one by which time they will be skilled stone masons and cob builders:)
They'll definitely still enjoy making it, I just thought it'd be smart to talk about how long it might last so they won't be too disappointed if it does collapse on you.

Here's mine,I built it 5 years ago and still going strong. The clay came from a small cave in the limestone. Cooks perfect Pizzas, bread and meat joints (overnight)......I don't use it enough. Needs well seasoned wood to cook at its best.
Mine is built from clay and sand in a similar manner to the OP video. Then it was insulated with mineral insulation on the outside, covered in wire netting, then daubed with K-rend to provide a water "resistant" coating....That is why it has lasted 5 years...and still going. I used ordinary clay bricks for the base well insulated underneath, firebrick may be more effective but everything works as it should....except; the oven was built directly onto limestone and damp strikes through the base, the oven therefore needs to be fired up for a couple of hours to dry the base before cooking. It will retain a cooking temperature overnight with the door closed and chimney covered.

Michael Gambon says that to Charlotte Rampling in "Restless", when they finally meet again in the late sixties, after Gambons figure betrayed her during the war. Imdb lists it as a"TV-movie"! Can a miniseries with these two, and Haley Atwell, Michelle Dockery ever be a TV-movie...

Mine is built from clay and sand in a similar manner to the OP video. Then it was insulated with mineral insulation on the outside, covered in wire netting, then daubed with K-rend to provide a water "resistant" coating....That is why it has lasted 5 years...and still going. I used ordinary clay bricks for the base well insulated underneath, firebrick may be more effective but everything works as it should....except; the oven was built directly onto limestone and damp strikes through the base, the oven therefore needs to be fired up for a couple of hours to dry the base before cooking. It will retain a cooking temperature overnight with the door closed and chimney covered.
Apologies, what is k rend?.
I did wonder If I could give the cob another coat of something to make it weather proof, I was also wondering about a layer of dpc in the plinth ours is going onto made up ground.

he will go far and also not have to graft manually like me.
Im very proud of him :)
As he hopefully is of himself. But, I hope he's physically active, maybe playing some sport on a regular basis because manual work carried out sensibly can be a huge benefit to both mind and body 🙂

Apologies, what is k rend?.
I did wonder If I could give the cob another coat of something to make it weather proof, I was also wondering about a layer of dpc in the plinth ours is going onto made up ground.
Our kitchen wall is cob. It's rendered then painted. But then it's not an oven...though there are two inside the kitchen

Latest posts

Back