Bucket sizes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
I've not extracted any honey before - what size buckets should I be buying 5litres or 10litres?

Found a few sites that a a lot cheaper than the main supplies but they dont list the honey storage size!

I've not extracted any honey before - what size buckets should I be buying 5litres or 10litres?

Found a few sites that a a lot cheaper than the main supplies but they dont list the honey storage size!

I would go for 30lb buckets as once full of honey, 60lb ones are very heavy and though I can move them, my missus cannot.

I can also fit a 30lb bucket into my smallish oven quite snugly.

I like the T's rectangular one with a valve. if you double strain when extracting you can jar from this.

For storing then I find the 15lb circular best, not too heavy and can easily fit into a warming cabinet.

Both have decent air proof seals.

With your only 2 hives I would buy something safe and proven to start with (i.e. don't mess around with buckets previously used for something else to save a literally a few pennies.)

For two hives, extract the honey and run through two or three sieves depending on your preference ( I use 2) into a settling tank. I use a beer brewing bucket to which I have fitted a valve at the bottom. Leave for 24 hours for the bubbles to rise and then pour straight into jars. Unless you are on a really good OSR crop I can't see that you need storage buckets yet! You may never need them, I haven't. I know how many jars I need for personal consumption and extras go as gifts or get sold.
E

Thanks - it was ampulla i was thinking of getting them from so brand new buckets - just they are listed in 5l sizes and 10l sizes. Its hard to judge as the 30lb one's have plastic handles on the major players, but on this site 10l has metal handles so it made me think it might be 5l's that I need.

Thanks for the tips, I *may* be doing it on a beekeepers workshop day so will be plenty of people to tell me what im doing wrong need to see if the logistics will work first though to keep it food safe.

Probably will go for 10 x 30lb buckets to get me started also have 30kg tank with valve. Cant believe the price difference between's t's, mm and pa*nes needless to say i'll be going with pa*nes prices!

Probably will go for 10 x 30lb buckets to get me started also have 30kg tank with valve. Cant believe the price difference between's t's, mm and pa*nes needless to say i'll be going with pa*nes prices!

10 x 30lb buckets is IMHO a bit over the top. I bottle all mine straight from the settling tank then store/sell/use the containers as required.

I like the T's rectangular one with a valve. if you double strain when extracting you can jar from this.

For storing then I find the 15lb circular best, not too heavy and can easily fit into a warming cabinet.

Both have decent air proof seals.

With your only 2 hives I would buy something safe and proven to start with (i.e. don't mess around with buckets previously used for something else to save a literally a few pennies.)

YOu can always buy round ones and fit a valve to them. That's what I have done. OK, I ruined the first one, but the others worked fine.

10 x 30lb buckets is IMHO a bit over the top. I bottle all mine straight from the settling tank then store/sell/use the containers as required.

You must be selling it a lot quicker than some...

C Wynne Jones is good for bucket prices I believe.

Most people use 30lb buckets. I also have a few 15lb buckets for that extra half bucket load from the extractor and for other purposes.

60lb rectangular ones here. Stack well and easy to bottle from. Yes they're heavy but work for us. Bought direct...quite a bit cheaper than Th**nes.

Picked up a pile of food-grade 30lb from our local middle-of-nowhere pound shop last month as they were such a bargain: just in case we have enough spare crop to sell catering packs this year. Joke....

Whatever size bucket you choose, I would suggest you go for ones with flat internal bottoms. I find them easier to clean out.

I used the 3 buckets in the end near enough filled so i've got none left. Just checked and it does seem the 30lb buckets are 5litre buckets.

Cheapest delivered is ampulla beats p***es by about £7-8. Works out at £1.87 per bucket delivered for 10. Cheaper if you buy 2 x 10 again, but i dont need that many!

Scrape that I should have checked with tape measure first! I'm forget honey is heaver than water too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back