Brood pattern

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I've just looked into the colony for the first time this year and everything seems to be going well. The girls got through winter here in the highlands and still have plenty of stores left. They have been flying well when the temperature has been warm enough.
When I looked today I found the queen, saw eggs, larvae and capped brood but also noticed that there were capped drone cells along with worker larvae (not many capped worker cells!) The queen was new last year and went through last year and into the winter laying a healthy pattern of worker brood, I did not notice too many drones last year but they were there. The brood pattern is good with all cells within the pattern being used.
I have never looked into a colony this early in the year before and i was wondering if it is normal for the queen to lay drone so early.
Hope to get plenty on knowledge from your replies. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes I think all sounds normal. Some have reported seeing drones flying already.
Once pollen & food available plus weather mild, Queen s rate of lay increases.
Regards
Sharon

Hi Highlander,
Most of us have a smattering of drone brood in drone cells and some already have flying drones. Just make sure they are in drone cells not worker cells next inspection.

Thanks folks

I feel reassured now. I am sure that they are drone cells 'cos they are bigger and more rounded caps that the workers. As I said I have never looked this early before as normally when I am available the weather is too cool but today was a good day.
I will check next time to see if the worker larvae has been capped, at the moment they are in worker sized cells and in a good solid pattern.

Thanks again.

I have a nice smattering of capped drone cells in mine , In my opinion they start with drone cells, then come the Queen cells, its all very exciting.

I hope they don't, I hope there are not enough to be thinking about swarming yet, they have loads of space, a second year queen and only 3 frames with brood and even then not full frames.
And it's only April in the Highlands, we could stil have 3 weeks of snow yet!!!

I have a nice smattering of capped drone cells in mine , In my opinion they start with drone cells, then come the Queen cells, its all very exciting.

Your opinion sounds about right, because according to a speaker at my BKA last year, seeing what he called "a quantity" of drone cells should be an early warning sign for the beekeeper because drones should mature to coincide with a virgin queen's mating flights.

You'll have to do the Maths yourself :D

When I looked today I found the queen, saw eggs, larvae and capped brood but also noticed that there were capped drone cells along with worker larvae (not many capped worker cells!)

If these capped drone cells are among the worker larvae and in worker size cells then your queen is most likely a busted flush.

I don't really understand the bit about drone brood in worker cells. What does this indicate and what do they look like ? Somebody please explain.

I don't really understand the bit about drone brood in worker cells. What does this indicate and what do they look like ? Somebody please explain.

When the queen becomes infertile or fails to mate she lays unfertilised eggs in the worker sized cells (as do laying workers). These unfertilised eggs produce drones who are stunted due to the smaller size of the worker cells. The cappings are more domed than normal worker brood, but less so than normal drone brood. A frame full of drone brood in worker cells at first glance may appear to be normal worker brood.

Update

Just thought I would update this thread. The queen stopped laying and the colony was dying so a friend gave me frame of eggs. The bees raised a new queen which built up strongly and overwintered well, the increased early and I have now made a nuc to increase my colonies this year.

Latest posts

Back