Brood advice for new beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New to beekeeping have 2 colonies, don't know all the bee jargon so may not be correct! 1st hive established and strong single brood box colony all spot on, 2nd is nuc hive 4 frames of brood in middle of box not doing much to front and rear of brood box, have only had them for 2 inspections, this hive has got queen cell in middle of comb sealed looks like supercede cell after hearing what is described on here, hanging down and capped. Haven't seen the queen in this hive but there are standing up eggs and laying down eggs and sealed brood and lots pollen which to the my untrained eye appears that there is a queen still laying . I understand that i'm to leave well alone on the queen front? Also 1st hive brood box is very full with lots of brood sealed and unsealed with some frames with capped honey around the edges, it all looks very busy, would i be right in thinking that if it wasn't so late in the season you would add a 2nd brood box to this? Can i take some frames of brood from this hive and transfer to nuc hive to boost numbers to get established before the winter?? If i can how would you do this and which frames would be best to take from hive 1? Thanks in advance for any input.

For your colony with one queencell.
If the queen is present (you need to see her) and is still laying, then you could destroy the queencell. If you don't see her then do not destroy the queencell.

Sometimes there can be an attempt by a colony to replace a newly introduced queen. (Don't know if the queen has been in the colony for long). If the queen has been in the hive for a while - i.e. a month or more, then there it is reasonable to assume that the bees think there's something wrong with her.

I would not suggest that you move brood around at the moment. However sealed/emerging brood is what you would move to boos an already viable colony.

here's the t.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

A little history of the nuc might help. Inspection periods, too. Guessing at weekly.

Is the 'nuc' colony dummied/divided or is the box full of foundation? I am expecting the latter, which is not good for a small colony.

i'm to leave well alone on the queen front?

Advice may differ depending on the colony history and source. Your eyes are well trained, as you can see eggs in different positions; yes, it appears to be supercedure and that the queen is still there.

would i be right in thinking that if it wasn't so late in the season you would add a 2nd brood box to this?

Possibly but not conclusively. Personally at this time of the year I might be reinforcing the weaker colony with frames of emerging brood (only one frame at a time)
If you can see the eggs you eyes are good and well trained. The queen was there recently and is still likely there. The queen cell does appear to be supercedure, but dependent on the history, the advice offered might differ, especially at this time of the season.

Regards, RAB

"Is the 'nuc' colony dummied/divided or is the box full of foundation? I am expecting the latter, which is not good for a small colony"

rab - i interpreted that as 6 frame nuc with 4 frames brood. but on re-read guess you're right an it is a 4-5 frame nuc dumped into a big empty brood box with just some foundation for company and lots of dead space to heat rather than caring for brood.

if it were me and wanted increase? i'd take a (last) chance - use strong hive to donate bees and brood to a new nuc into which the frame with queen cell is put. "nuc" hive boosted with a replacement frame or two of brood (possibly with bees) and dummied down to a manageable size with entrance reducer. how many drawn frames are there at present? are you feeding?

rab - i interpreted that as 6 frame nuc with 4 frames brood. but on re-read guess you're right an it is a 4-5 frame nuc dumped into a big empty brood box with just some foundation for company and lots of dead space to heat rather than caring for brood.

Yes it is. The fella i got them from said to see how it went. I don't know much of the history but it was made up this year. The entrance is closed down, i'm thinking of adding from my strong hive. i don't have anymore equipment to split at the moment. Not feeding at present. Should i? I've not seen the queen but with my limited knowlage happy to say i think there is very recently layed eggs. Thanks for the input. not worthy

Yes it is. The fella i got them from said to see how it went. I don't know much of the history but it was made up this year. The entrance is closed down, i'm thinking of adding from my strong hive. i don't have anymore equipment to split at the moment. Not feeding at present. Should i? I've not seen the queen but with my limited knowlage happy to say i think there is very recently layed eggs. Thanks for the input. not worthy

If you're reasonably happy it's a supercedure Leave it to the hive.

We removed ours 26th June and are still messing about after replacing failing Queen in hive where we destroyed supersedure.

How about a bait hive as hopeful insurance.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Back