Brand New Beekeeper.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeGees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello folks, I finally went for it after years of really wanting to look after Bee's.

I've spent quite some time reading books and absorbing as much information as possible on the subject.
Luckily I have a brother who is a beekeeper and has kept me right with setting up a hive. I got a swarm from him 2 days ago and the Bee's seem to be settling in nicely apart from what looks to be a robbing situation. Im wondering if theres an apiary nearby my house.

Anyway, have a beer on me at the Virtual Bar !

BG

:welcome:

You live in a lovely part of Scotland..

Hi and welcome, Close the entrance to one bee space if you suspect robbing. Robbers fly from side to side in front of the hive entrance. It may be your own bees making orientation flights, but when they fly off to forage they all go in different directions and are quick to take flight whilst a robber is heavy with a full crop and will make a beeline for their own hive i.e. fly off in the same direction. Robbing is serious which you probably already know. Good luck.

Thanks Beeno, I did that to the Nuc.
Transferred them over to the Brood box today but couldn't find the Queen.

il have a look again in a few days.

BG

Back