brace comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a few encouraging words and a little gentle advice might have made for a new beekeeper! We all make mistakes when we start!
E

Maybe a few encouraging words and a little gentle advice might have made for a new beekeeper! We all make mistakes when we start!
E

If your talking about me Enrico they weren't new beeks ..

Thanks Millet
I'm going with Polyhives board solution as it's ludicrously straightforward.

For your entertainment,

https://ibb.co/rdGQ8Yx

should hopefully be a link to an image of the "super"
It's 170mm tall and the same width externally as a national.The distance between the metal rails is 21"
The deeper box with the bees is 265mm deep and I'm told has been built back inwards to take national deep frames
The solid floor has an upstand of another 75mm
They both have recessed rims for wooden framed Qe/cb
There is a conventional style flat roof

Thanks Millet
I'm going with Polyhives board solution as it's ludicrously straightforward.

For your entertainment,

https://ibb.co/rdGQ8Yx

should hopefully be a link to an image of the "super"
It's 170mm tall and the same width externally as a national.The distance between the metal rails is 21"
The deeper box with the bees is 265mm deep and I'm told has been built back inwards to take national deep frames
The solid floor has an upstand of another 75mm
They both have recessed rims for wooden framed Qe/cb
There is a conventional style flat roof

So it looks like they are on national frames (may even be in an old pre war national brood box) so no need for all the faff of a bailey change (unless the frames are in shthouse order) just transfer the whole lot into a new national deep and work out the frames as required.

I have used the plywood dodge many times and the most spectacular one was a brood box full of comb and very active but with no frames at all. A total dogs breakfast and not a straight comb amongst them. So...

Board on top, National on top of that with some drawn comb, the rest foundation and a frame feeder with a pint of syrup.

Three days later she was busy laying upstairs so the excluder went in and 24 days later a right mess was a bonny colony getting on with it.

KISS

PH

Once they are in the 'proper,' hive I will have this home made thing to look at.

It's well made other than the depth of the boxes being an inch or so too deep.
I'd like to keep it as an emergency hive.
I thought about some sort of suspended false floor or board at the bottom of each box with a 1/4" slot cut to go across the frames to make up the surplus space so they don't brace comb it.
It would leave bee space above below and around and sit on the frame lugs at the four corners to discourage the propolis.
Other than a lot of messing about what am I missing?

Latest posts

Back