Books for Module 2?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumgerry

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's probably a mistake but I'm lined up to sit modules 1 and 2 of the SBA/BBKA exams in March. Needless to say I haven't been able to get hold of a copy of Yates to study. I have the notes produced by (I think) Mid-Bucks beekeeping association which seem pretty comprehensive.

I think I'm probably ok with the materials I have for Module 1 but Module 2 concerns me. Are there any books I can buy which would give a thorough treatment of the material in Module 2? Who'd have though honey was such a complicated substance?!

Hooper has some good info on methods and temps.

I've found Celia Davis 'honey bee around & about' covered quite a bit of the syllabus. 'Plants & honey bees their relationship' by David Aston & Sally Bucknall, is probably more in depth than needed for the course but answers a couple of the topics I couldn't find elsewhere. Both books were an enjoyable read.

I've found Celia Davis 'honey bee around & about' covered quite a bit of the syllabus. 'Plants & honey bees their relationship' by David Aston & Sally Bucknall, is probably more in depth than needed for the course but answers a couple of the topics I couldn't find elsewhere. Both books were an enjoyable read.

In spite of the high esteem the authors are all held in, there are mistakes in both* and in the Bucks notes which are to an extent copy-pasted off the net (rife with copy-paste fever of its own) and also contains quite a few errors.

Don't worry about not having Yates.

* as opposed to variation of scale and method

Last edited:
The bucks notes varyin their usefulness from module to module.
I found them reasonably good for mod 2.

Try and get hold of at least last 4 years of past papers.

In spite of the high esteem the authors are all held in, there are mistakes in both

Get off your soapbox, they're both damn good books, and unless I'm mistaken you've not written better yourself...? One or two errors are acceptable in the real world :p

Yates has its uses too and should not be dismissed. Honey Regs have moved on (See 2003 regs & addenda) but as usual Yates provides a fair summary of much of the background without having to hunt through all the texts. After all, most of the honey knowledge is summarised out of Eva Crane's Honey, whoever the author is...

Got an email today that the book for module 1,2,3,4 is now back in stock

Got an email today that the book for module 1,2,3,4 is now back in stock

Have they brought module 4 back????????

And the price from Northen bee books is a whopping £33.

Get off your soapbox, they're both damn good books, and unless I'm mistaken you've not written better yourself...? One or two errors are acceptable in the real world :p

Yates has its uses too and should not be dismissed. Honey Regs have moved on (See 2003 regs & addenda) but as usual Yates provides a fair summary of much of the background without having to hunt through all the texts. After all, most of the honey knowledge is summarised out of Eva Crane's Honey, whoever the author is...

Writing books doesn't necessarily make you any better at reviewing them, Dan. And errors that imply lack of understanding are not acceptable errors. I may not be an NDB (you know what I mean) but I have enough scientific understanding to quote things in the right unit and label the right photo. OK, so some may be poor editing. As a tutor you should be positive about students who look that hard into their studies and understand the texts rather than parroting them should you not? :D

Maybe one day I will get round to offering some focussed notes for the Modules (when I feel fully qualified to do so). At least FERA consider me worthy of subbing :)

Last edited:
Needless to say I haven't been able to get hold of a copy of Yates to study.

It should be available. I just had an email from Jerry at Northern Bee Books to say it's available again.

Adam

The exam is a week on Saturday. I'm not spending that for 10 or so days use! I'm thinking there are better texts for when I come round to doing Mod 3.

Back