Blowtorch recommendation please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planetgood

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi I’m on about my 5th blowtorch, ok ive been beekeeping pretty long time but given the usage rate they have been disappointing.

Please can you recommend a reliable model? Nothing too massive please, but self igniting and 100% reliable please, thank you

My Wickes self igniting blowtorch was bought in the 1990s.
I am still using it with no issues: just a strip and clean every 5 years or so.

I was sick and tired of the 'Chef' type ones, they just stop igniting so today I bought one from 'Tool Station' self igniting for £24.64 (92494). I have a Rothenberger Superfire 2 which I use for plumbing, this is way too expensive to leave in my apiary. Thats why I opted for the cheaper one listed here.

Last edited:
Rothenberger superfire, you will never need another.
Great, multipurpose tool, lighting smoker, scorching hives etc.
I've three, one for each of us, stay away from the cheaper brands such as GoP B&Q sell, they have no longevity.

Hi I’m on about my 5th blowtorch, ok ive been beekeeping pretty long time but given the usage rate they have been disappointing.

Please can you recommend a reliable model? Nothing too massive please, but self igniting and 100% reliable please, thank you
UK please!
I've three, one for each of us, stay away from the cheaper brands such as GoP B&Q sell, they have no longevity.
thank you, yes those B&Q /GoP ones are exactly what I’ve bought repeatedly. Had spotted the superfire but price made me wince abit. Thanks very much for your recommendation. The weed wand option was a surprise to me, but I think I’d use too much fuel for that. I scorch something at least a couple times a week in the season. Maybe a superfire could be Christmas pressie, cheers!

WRT weed wand, I scorch en masse over winter and find four cannisters last me a year. Obviously depends how many hives you're running though. The refills are quite cheap.

Buy cheap - buy twice,

Or in my case buy several cheapos before saving money by buying the more expensive Rothenberger.

Really depends on how many hives you have. i.e. most of the recommendations have been for mall handhold ones, I run 15 - 20 hives and thus use a 13kg cynlinder, found the 19kg was just a bit big to lug around places when i need to. Then though you are in a different type of blowtorch. Bullfinch are one of the main brands https://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/download/catalogue-and-leaflets/2-bullfinch-catalogue-size-4-9mb/file
I am using a 2300 auto lighter, does not always work though I find it came with a 2105 nozel, find the flame a bit week so looking at a 2106 nozel upgrade, friend is testing and will let me know.
previous to that I used a 1230 unit, no autolight but have to say great flame from it.

As i say all depends if you want a small handhold unit or more serious.

I have a 3.9 kg propane bottle with a 1 metre hose and a silverline bog standard torch with interchangeable nozzles (I use the 40mm nozzle), lasts me years, the only thing I've had to change is the hose as it does perish and crack - but then I don't obsessively scorch everything at any opportunity, keeping it mostly for deadouts, cleaning wire QX's (takes seconds) and cleaning out the smoker (handy for lighting SWMBO's chiminea as well!!)

Last edited:

I use a roofer's torch with a 6kg gas bottle. Been using the same bottle since 2017, would've spend a fortune on tiny cannisters in the same time. Instead of paying the deposit for a new gas bottle I found a flytipped one and exchanged it - wasn't even the same size.

Rothenberger superfire 2, bought on 5 years ago, lights first time every time. Also powerful enough to heat a branding iron for marking kit.

Rosenberger superfire 2

another vote for these, I have 1 That i thoroughly abuse it at work and at home, you can forget to bring it in and leave it out all night in the rain pick it up in the morning and it ignites no fuss no bother, I've dropped it lots as well and its just fine

Thanks all, really interesting. Rothenberger seems to be getting most votes. Really enjoyed these replies, I need to scale up 🔥🔥 no wonder I’ve found it hardwork

I have a monster of a 5191236_X300_4.jpgthing I use in the veg garden called a 'Sheen Flame Gun' It's basically a paraffin fueled jet engine.
Highly effective but indiscriminate !

I have a monster of a thing I use in the veg garden called a 'Sheen Flame Gun' It's basically a paraffin fueled jet engine.
Highly effective but indiscriminate !

I have one of those though I've not used it in years. Probably costs too much to run these days.

James

Latest posts

Back