Incubator for Queen Rearing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is on a lookout for their first incubator for small scale queen rearing, just got a Brisnea mini eco which is the size of a football. I can fit 15-18 nicot cages inside. It's just about high enough with 3-4mm spare. more expensive than the Chinese ones but they are good quality and a few go 2nd hand on fleabay.DSC_0561.JPG

I bought a cheapy chinese egg incubator from facebook marketplace yesterday for £3 (new and unused!). Just in the process of designing a spacer to raise the dome slightly and a cell holder that I will 3d print to raise the dome slightly. It should fit around 10 or so nicot hair roller cages in. Looking forward to giving it a go.

I picked up one of these on ebay a couple of years ago for about £30 and have found it really reliable. Plus the test tube rack fits roller sized queen cages exactly.
https://www.mesm.com/products/refrigerators/cultura-m-incubator/
I have used it to incubate queen cells at home but also to transport them to and from out apiaries, plugged into an inverter in the truck. Very handy bit of kit that I would recommend if you can pick one up cheap enough.

If anyone is on a lookout for their first incubator for small scale queen rearing, just got a Brisnea mini eco which is the size of a football. I can fit 15-18 nicot cages inside. It's just about high enough with 3-4mm spare. more expensive than the Chinese ones but they are good quality and a few go 2nd hand on fleabay.View attachment 34842
Quick question - do you add water for humidity?

Just in the process of designing a spacer to raise the dome slightly and a cell holder that I will 3d print to raise the dome slightly
Yes good idea. I don't have access to 3d printers or know anyone who has so I have to think of another way. I would like to put a base/rack to secure the rollers and avoid them falling. I may try to do something with 50mm celotex I have spare.

Yes, there is a container build in the centre to hold water.
Hi Jeff I take it you’ve looked at those reptile shops or web sites, they appear to have many incubators and some very reasonable that could be converted.

Hi Jeff I take it you’ve looked at those reptile shops or web sites, they appear to have many incubators and some very reasonable that could be converted.
Yes, I have had a look around Ian. That one cost me £20 so thought I would give it a go this year and decide which method is more suited to my needs before investing a bit more.

68CA0C21-4CB2-4F30-850A-AF1221B503E5.jpeg924D9A39-466D-4D48-9CB8-6A9F40E7CB2D.jpeg9DC1D445-E681-466D-98E8-94621B94FA8B.jpeg4111FAE9-8B69-4478-92D3-EF861E6F9CCF.jpeg2B0F2700-5940-4D76-B965-F1B4BDE672FB.jpeg941827BC-7C76-4747-A06A-30DECCB18F9D.jpeg3C3474D0-7B33-4375-A56A-3A542CFBF96F.png
Pic 1 - box complete and closed
Pic 2 - initially installed a fan for air circulation but would not get up to temperature so disconnected the fan
Pic 3 - heater position with tin plate above & below to protect polystyrene from tube heater also divider & cell bars
Pic 4 - humidity sensor positioned near cell bars
Pic 5 - piece of wood in bottom to stop open jars of water moving around
Pic 6 - electrics located underneath with 2”x1” Barton to provide space underneath and 5mm ply tacked to it to protect polystyrene box from damage
Pic 7 - temperature set on controller and humidity adjusted by adding or removing jars of water with no lids on allowing evaporation

I will point out the obvious which is when using an electrical device.....there is a risk.

Why not use the bees?

After leaving Craibstone and the associated kit including a large incubator I thought about making one and then thought is it something I need and where would I keep it. So I did some reading, there being no or very infant net at that point.

I used little cages in a rack suspended in the supers of selected colonies. The cages were so that should I have time issues the virgins were contained.

It worked well.

I colour sprayed bricks so on going to the bees I could see what was where. Grafts, cells and virgins. As ever....KISS

PH

I will point out the obvious which is when using an electrical device.....there is a risk.

Why not use the bees?

After leaving Craibstone and the associated kit including a large incubator I thought about making one and then thought is it something I need and where would I keep it. So I did some reading, there being no or very infant net at that point.

I used little cages in a rack suspended in the supers of selected colonies. The cages were so that should I have time issues the virgins were contained.

It worked well.

I colour sprayed bricks so on going to the bees I could see what was where. Grafts, cells and virgins. As ever....KISS

PH
Yes, fair point. I have until now used a queen right finisher which works well if you manage to cage the cells before the bees build burr comb. I guess it also depends on the quantity produced.

Yes, fair point. I have until now used a queen right finisher which works well if you manage to cage the cells before the bees build burr comb. I guess it also depends on the quantity produced.
Incubators also spread the risk of rogue cells/virgins destroying a whole batch. You can probably turn over a couple of batches faster getting 1 lot into the incubator and getting another graft in. Although saying that as soon as 1 lots capped I’ll often add another set to the same cell raiser.

Latest posts

Back