Blowtorch recommendation please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those though I've not used it in years. Probably costs too much to run these days.

James
I bought two on Ebay for 28 quid the pair.
Holds a gallon of Paraffin.
A gallon costs between 8 to 10 quid, works out cheaper than the gas powered ones and waaaaaaay more effective.

Yeah but seeing them turn to ash in 3 seconds is really something and you don't have dead weeds to look at !
I have had one of those for years. You may find that the most effective way to use them is to go round once, during which the weeds wilt but do not burn because of their water content, and then go round a second time a few days later after they have dried out.

They take a few minutes for the heating coil in the head to get up to sufficient temperature to vaporise the paraffin.

I like to give the creatures living underneath a chance 😉
i would not use it in the flower garden at all. EVER.
I have a large vegetable garden and flame the beds before planting.
Kills off a lot of stuff that would damage my veg.Missed one last year and now my autumn sown onions have yellow leaf virus!

Ive used an electric hot air paint stripper (old Black and Decker) which seems to be effective for scorching hives etc at home/workshop use ...

Back