Black bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like DWV and possibly CBPV, check your varroa drop? Maybe an indication of high varroa levels.

Looks like DWV and possibly CBPV, check your varroa drop? Maybe an indication of high varroa levels.

:iagree: Are you treating for varroa? If not, you should be.

Yes had hivemakers thymol on for 2 weeks. Rest of bees look fine in fact so did this one.

No real sign of DWV that I noticed

Is there a link between CBPV and varroa?

Its Chronic paralysis syndrome 2 I think you'll find. There is an element of genetic susceptibility to the virus involved. If lots of bees with it then requeening from a different strain helps. Virus gets into their body via broken bristles. Broken bristles more likely when bees congested.
I don't think it is associated particularly with Varroa (unlike acute paralysis virus).

Its Chronic paralysis syndrome 2 I think you'll find. There is an element of genetic susceptibility to the virus involved. If lots of bees with it then requeening from a different strain helps. Virus gets into their body via broken bristles. Broken bristles more likely when bees congested.
I don't think it is associated particularly with Varroa (unlike acute paralysis virus).

I have a hive with lots of them in. and been told it is chronic paralysis... hundreds thrown out of the hive but queen laying like mad and its on brood and a half. im leaving to overwinter and see next year

Yep, was going to say chronic paralysis. I've been reading up on diseases lol

Thanks for the feed back not much I can do other than give them plenty of room and see what happens they have 6 frames of brood and only saw 3 black bees so I guess they stand a chance.
I will requeen in the spring.

Interesting ... I've definitely seen a lot of shaking/trembling in mine at times, a few crawling bees on the ground with dislocated wings (not DWV)

being a virus is it possible to diagnose with a microscope?

The Beekeeper at Buckfast Abbey ( Clair?) had a big problem with her bees a couple of years back, shaking and not flying, I believe she treated with a garlick compound in a sugar based feed quite successfully!

However I now understand the Abbey Apiary is looking more toward Native bees that seem to show some resistance to Varroa and hence the main vector of viral disease in viral honeybee disease?

All rumour of course!

James

However I now understand the Abbey Apiary is looking more toward Native bees that seem to show some resistance to Varroa and hence the main vector of viral disease in viral honeybee disease?

All rumour of course!

To mix in with the queens that they had bought from Greece, which Clare was introducing.

To mix in with the queens that they had bought from Greece, which Clare was introducing.

Interesting,
I had hear tell some one was breeding our Native black bees in Greece, due I expect to the similar climate, our Greek cousins share.

( financial one presumes!)

James

Interesting,
I had hear tell some one was breeding our Native black bees in Greece, due I expect to the similar climate, our Greek cousins share.

They were yellow, from Batsis, via Bickerstaffes.

Back