Bit of advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi - I did a mini inspection today in advance of a visit next weekend (I'm living an hour's drive from my bees at the moment- so have to try and make the most of my visits).

I lost one colony over winter - (which is why I was up at the apiary - to retreve and clean the hive).

The second hive looks like this:
Saw bees taking in pollen a couple of weeks back, and found brood and larva today (didn't go through every frame - stopped once I found brood, so didnt feel I needed to spot the queen).

The first 4 frames I checked were a mixture of capped stores and what I assume is crystalised Ivy nectar from last year. The other brood frames had bees and some stores. A couple of cells in the stores looked mouldy/white - but most were ok.

I left a super on over winter because it was only 25% full, so I thought the bees would prefer their own stores. There's still a fair bit of capped honey and solid ivy stuff in there.

I didnt spot any queen cells. Although as I said, I didnt do a full inspection.

So - Do I need to do anything about the ivy stores or even move the brood around a bit (I'm worried that the lack of bees on these frames means that they are blocked on the other side of the brood box.

Also should I get rid of the ivy stores in the super?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Marc
I know you are going to get loads of advise contrary to what I am going to say but here it goes - I believe in leaving the bees alone with regards to moving stores this time of the year. Always always always keep in mind that the bees have been here on earth for a very long time and you can take it that they know best about stores being moved or otherwise. I always try not to micro-manage my bees - aim for keeping them dry and fed over winter, enough space for summer expansion, coupled with good voarroa mite treatment and you will be surprised how well your bees will get on.
Leave them the ivy stores.
It is a black and white issue for me.
Jim

Thanks for that Jim - I'll leave them for a week before I check on them again.

more than welcome. I am always amazed as to how such a simple hobby can be made into some type of nuclear science by some beekeepers. Keep it simple and stick to the basics and after a few years you will have a better insight as to how the bees work and what is involved in bee husbandry - which in my book is more like learning to live with them and give them a little helping hand along the way.

Well said Jimy, only had bees for a short time and lots of conflicting advice but the best thing that you can do for your bees at this time of the year in my opinion is monitor them carefully without disturbing them too much. If they need feeding then feed them if they have ample stores and appear healthy then leave them alone.

Latest posts

Back