Bit of a boo boo!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I think I have royally messed up a unite this week. Scenario went something like this.
Nasty queen on a good sized colony, very good queen on a small colony. Removed nasty queen having positioned good queen on nasty's roof, and united with paper (left them for a week). So far so good. I then removed the good queen on her comb and placed her in nasty's brood box. Stupidly, I reasoned that I wanted the queen in the box below with the most bees, and leave the brood in the upper box to hatch out and then remove it, leaving them on a bb and a super. In hindsight (my wife's idea) what I should have done was simply swop the brood boxes around with the old box above a qx and let the old brod hatch out before sorting out the two boxes.So at present the stack is super/bb+q/qx/bb/roof. So my question is whether there would be any harm in simply removing the queen excluder and leave in on double bb plus a super?

I think I would continue with plan A and remove qx and upper bb when the brood is all hatched.
BTW, how d'you know she's a good Q if she has mothered only a small colony?

She comes from good stock (although as we all know that could mean nothing next year), she was running a reasonable sized colony. Although small by some of my others, the temperament of her bees over the last few months was very good.

Remove QE, leave all the box' so that the box you want to end up with in spring is on the top and the one you want off first is on the bottom. So.... Probably floor, super, worst bb, best bb, reorganise in spring!
E

I agree with enrico. Leave it that way and take superfluous boxes away in the spring. With luck you'll have bees just in the top brood box. Don't worry about vain space....there won't be any underneath.

Raised small colony in one of the supposed best years in a long time, you sure she's top four Priemership material and a cert for a Champions League spot next year ?? :)

For those of you that were a little disappointed, like me, because you were expecting something different -

14wyfqb.jpg

Do they keep bees in Jellystone park then ?

I'm sure I saw an episode when I was a kid of them (inaccurately) being chased off from a picnic. Could be getting confused with 'ole winnie though. Still haven't figured out why he was a poo. Although, I guess he was a bit of a **** to the bees

Latest posts

Back