Birds and the Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Over the past day or so a couple of pigeons have taken up residence on the roof of my hives.

Apart from the additional cleaning this will demand should I be discouraging them in some way? I assume they are waiting for the odd tasty snack to come flying by

Oh no - don't tell me this is something else for me to worry about! My hives are always surrounded by woodpigeons - up till now I thought they were only after my vegetables!

Apart from the additional cleaning this will demand should I be discouraging them in some way? I assume they are waiting for the odd tasty snack to come flying by

The pigeons sitting on my roof often duck as bees go past to get to the pond next door..as do the squirrels.
I wonder if the squirrels chattering is their version of the old joke .... "Duck"..." No, I'm a pigeon......."

I assume they are waiting for the odd tasty snack to come flying by

From the garden-birds.co.uk website: "Wood Pigeons feed on seeds, grain and crops ... They also drink a lot, mainly because they do not get sufficient moisture from their food, unlike birds that eat earthworms, etc." So they are probably not waiting for bees.

From the garden-birds.co.uk website: "Wood Pigeons feed on seeds, grain and crops ... They also drink a lot, mainly because they do not get sufficient moisture from their food, unlike birds that eat earthworms, etc." So they are probably not waiting for bees.

Thanks Bob - mind at rest. They are probably then taking advantage of the delightful water feature I've installed (baking tray with some sticks and stones) that the bees are so studiously ignoring. Or prehaps just enjoying the view.

It may be that when the sun is out the roof is warm. I get no birds anywhere near mine as one of the cats likes to sunbathe there :)

We have three bird species in France that will to some extent or another "eat bees or their larvae", none of these are in the UK to my knowledge and none are actually a threat to hives.

I also have three different species of woodpecker present and breeding in my apiary and have never had a problem with them either.

Chris

Kill the b.....y things. Flying rats. Their droppings when dry can be breathed by humans in and cause serious lung problems.
Bees safe- you are not!!

Kill the b.....y things. Flying rats. Their droppings when dry can be breathed by humans in and cause serious lung problems.
Bees safe- you are not!!

Woodpigeons are not really the same as the ones in the City. In fact, they are DELICIOUS.

Woodpigeons are not really the same as the ones in the City. In fact, they are DELICIOUS.
I'll second that. Not Dad's Army pigeons!!
I had a client who whenever his JRTs were in need of care paid me in pigeons and rabbits.......yum

I have just had my own pigeon catcher - a sparrow hawk in the garden-:drool5: She usually only goes for the big birds- sadly once took a greater spotted woodpecker off the bird table but I have finally forgiven her

Unusual behaviour for a Sparrowhawk, normally they go for small birds, robins, tits and finches. Pigeons tend to be more the prey of Goshawks and Peregrines.

Interesting, male or female?

Chris

Female- she is the one capable of taking a pigeon in that species I think. Third time she has been - first time we saw the shrubs in the nearest bed in the garden (8' from back door) being disturbed ++ and when we investigated - there she was with a pigeon pinned down. Slow take off but she did it. What yellow/gold eyes!

Latest posts

Back