Bindweed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once dry it is ok

Yes .. I tend to spray last thing in the evening when there are fewer insects flying .. as Enrico says, once it has dried on the plant it's safe for insects. Try and just spray the bindweed though, a small pump action sprayer is ideal, I use one of those spray bottles that household cleaners come in - Glyphosphate is a very effective plant killer and you will end up with a desert if it's sprayed indiscrimately. Whilst it states that it dissipates from the soil in a matter of weeks ... who ever believes anything a manufacturer of chemicals for agriculture states ?

Sorry - don't want it consigned to the cupboard under the stairs so no additional comments on chemicals please....

Hi Pargyyle my next door neighbour planted some of that because she liked the flower asfter a few years my side garden was full of it tried alsorts of weed killer but last year i used loads of bleach strong mix but not seen a single shoot yet so give it a try only cost a few bob good luck

Whilst it states that it dissipates from the soil in a matter of weeks ... who ever believes anything a manufacturer of chemicals for agriculture states ?

Phil,

They have said that ever since roundup hit the market. Technically true, but what they don’t tell you is that the metabolites, from the ‘rapid’ breakdown of the glyphosate, are not exactly ‘nice’ chemicals and that they are retained in the soil for a long time.🙂

Whilst it states that it dissipates from the soil in a matter of weeks ... who ever believes anything a manufacturer of chemicals for agriculture states ?

Phil,

They have said that ever since roundup hit the market. Technically true, but what they don’t tell you is that the metabolites, from the ‘rapid’ breakdown of the glyphosate, are not exactly ‘nice’ chemicals and that they are retained in the soil for a long time.🙂

Yes ... I only ever use it very sparingly and only for bindweed .. and I'm careful only to get it on the foliage of the bindweed ... I have seen whole fields cleared with a spray that covered everything and that would seriously worry me ...

This guy wasn’t that sparing

attachment.php

Attachments

• 682DEB3A-2CBA-4B77-BDAD-9A5BEEC37760.jpeg
    682DEB3A-2CBA-4B77-BDAD-9A5BEEC37760.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 36
Yes .. that's exactly what I was talking about .. I saw a field that was a meadow .. a few miles away from us but on a route we regularly pass .. full of wild flowers and grazed every year by cattle. Taken over by a turf company who did exactly the same weedkilling - twice - once at the beginning of spring and again when further growth had come up. In the autumn it was seeded for turf and harvested the following spring .. so people can have weed free instant lawns ... Madness .. what may be left in the soil in those circumstances beggars belief.

Latest posts

Back