Big boxes = lots of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I dont post much about my bees so i thought i better say something for fear of being labeled a keyboard beekeeper LOL

I am using all commercials, so pretty big boxes with big frames, everything is BIG :D

However, two of mine are really going for it, i mean the other day due the rain i was a few days late getting a super onto one of them, when i finally did get there there were bees in the roof, bees hanging out the entrance, basicly just packed in as tight as you could get them. They got drone brood on the bottom of every frame, most of which is attached to the next etc.

Anyway, that particular colony have nine frames of brood, virtually full up!
Should i start removing the few end frames of stores and replace with fresh foundation to let em draw it and give more space? Or is it a case of a super on top to give them extra space?
I dont really want to go to two commercial brood boxes, i mean bloody hell where does it end?

Its only the second season for me, so as you can imagine, its quite a sight to see a full old box of bees, plus a full super of bees too LOL

The other biggish colony are much the same, but only 8 frames of brood plus drone comb right across the bottom of all frames.

Third colony, which were my first swarm last year, i expected to be further on than everyone else are not as advanced at all, no drone comb, and about 7 frames of brood, and a touch grumpy, but the queen is there!

The advice I was given the other day was just that, if they look like running out of space for brood take out a frame either side of the brood and replace with foundation, making sure you leave enough stores.

Took the advice for larger colony, just replaced one frame in weaker colony

Didn't work for me last year tried swapping end frames around but they were more interested in going up than out. Worth a try, maybe super up and swap frames.

Its only the second season for me, so as you can imagine, its quite a sight to see a full old box of bees, plus a full super of bees too LOL

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, i remember last year after having them a couple of months from a nuc thinking "wow loads of bees" but now i pop the crown board and bees are just boiling over, i`ve just gone to double brood and am starting to realise what a strong colony will really look like.

Gee if you guys are full now just wait till the summer!! remember the same feelings last year, but cant wait for it to get manic this year again. 2 of mine are getting good, one on double brood other on single but has just got super on as they were getting a bit full!

Back