Bias

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
What does BIAS mean?....I hate shortened stuff

Thanks Craig

Mmmmmm, i was wondering that aswel but too embarassed to ask
Another question answered

Brood in all stages would be much better, as would Queen excluder etcetera

Acronym...thanks Pargyle

Now have an Acronym list and a Glossary, both help!

Brood in all stages kind of says I colony is doing fine. An egg is an egg for only three days, so find eggs and you will also very likely have a queen laying. And no, you didn't accidentally squash her when you last inspected.

Let's see what bias this attracts... I'm a beginner and to pass on a lesson I have learnt, it is SUPER hard to see eggs through a gauze head-covering so don't drive yourself nuts trying. For a beginner, If you see small larvae (I'll try and dig out pics by age) it's the next best thing until you are counting days like a careless teenager, and probably even then.

I'm a beginner and to pass on a lesson I have learnt, it is SUPER hard to see eggs through a gauze head-covering so don't drive yourself nuts trying. For a beginner, If you see small larvae (I'll try and dig out pics by age).
Tip from an RBI*, if you're looking for eggs, use an LED torch. The bluish light picks out the eggs even on a dull day. And no, agree that most of the time you don't need to find eggs. But there are times when it's really good to find some, such as a newly mated queen.

*Regional Bee Inspector, another one for the acronym list.

Last edited:
And if you wear specs for reading, get a cheap pair one strength up just for beekeeping- really helps through that gauze.
Once beginners begin to see those eggs, BIAS falls into place in reading the hive, and builds confidence in their own ability.

Another essential for egg spotting is to angle the cells so that the sun shines in to them (if you do not have/use a torch.)
I have to wear specs these days to see them.
Cazza

Some reading glasses will focus on the veil's gauze, making things worse. A small magnifying glass can be handy.

Another essential for egg spotting is to angle the cells so that the sun shines in to them (if you do not have/use a torch.)
I have to wear specs these days to see them.
Cazza

More specifically, I teach people to spot eggs with the sun coming over their shoulder straight onto the frame. I would say it is unusual for eyesight to be that bad that eggs still cannot be seen if all the conditions are right, - darkish broodframe (or newly drawn comb), good sunlight and someone to point out which area of the frame to look at - and once a person tunes in their eyes to the eggs, from then on it usually becomes easier.
With the uncertainty of timely good sunlight an led torch is a good tip.

I know that some beekeepers use magnifying glasses

Compare magnifying reading aids

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MAGNIFYING-AIDS-Full-Page-Magnifier/dp/B000SKLFFG"]Amazon.com: Full Page Magnifier: Office Products[/ame]

From 4$ to 300$.

A big A4 size magnifier etc....

Last edited:
I would say it is unusual for eyesight to be that bad that eggs still cannot be seen if all the conditions are right,.

:iagree:

My eyes are shot to bits nowadays but I still manage. I think a lot of it is training the eyes to see what you want them to - once you start seeing eggs (or are shown) it gets progressively easier

:iagree:

My eyes are shot to bits nowadays but I still manage. I think a lot of it is training the eyes to see what you want them to - once you start seeing eggs (or are shown) it gets progressively easier

That's my experience too.
Once your brain has filed away the correct image in the memory bank it seems to be able to pick it out.
Like spotting a Queen too

Last edited:
Yep, once you know what to look for it is much easier. :winner1st:

Just, with magnifying glass, new bee keepers feel they need 3 hands . Sl. stronger specs give them 2 hands to manipulate that frame full of bees.

The sun over the shoulder is a great tip. Forgot to say, just shows how routine things become and we do without thinking. :rolleyes:

Back