Queenless colony that won’t raise QCs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I had two Q- colonies into each of which I introduced a frame of BIAS from another. One has raised 5 QCs. The other none at all.

What should I do about the second one? Try again and hope that any queen has time to emerge, mate and start laying before winter? Or combine the remnants with another colony?

Are you certain it is queen less?
Would your local drone population still be available if you try again? Ive had two days in the last 14 where a queen might comfortably get mated how's your weather?
Is your local forage situation good enough?
What else could you do with 5 queen cells ?
Is one strong colony better than two smaller ones going into winter?

I’m certain that there is no laying queen there. There’s been only drone brood for 2 or 3 weeks.
There is still forage around and the weather is good at the mo. But of course whether it will be good enough in three or four weeks time for any successfully emerged queen to mate is another question.

I’m certain that there is no laying queen there. There’s been only drone brood for 2 or 3 weeks.
There is still forage around and the weather is good at the mo. But of course whether it will be good enough in three or four weeks time for any successfully emerged queen to mate is another question.
Or..... You have a queen Laying drone eggs in which case they won't produce queen cells as they do have a good ueen all be it a duff one

Latest posts

Back