Best time to unite colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We’ve ended up this year with more colonies than we wish to continue with. We have 4 strong colonies. Ideally we want to have 3 to leave sufficient space for swarm control next year. Is it better to unite before winter or overwinter all four and unite early spring if necessary?

Definitely unite before winter but make sure they have sufficient feed

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would suggest keeping the 4 over winter and if all survive simply advertise in april and buy any extra kit you want with the proceeds. All bases covered then

I would suggest keeping the 4 over winter and if all survive simply advertise in april and buy any extra kit you want with the proceeds. All bases covered then

Another advantage is if you happen to lose a colony you still have one to replace it in the Spring.

If you're sure they are all strong enough to overwinter then that would seem a more sensible option. 1 strong colony going into winter is definitely better than 2 weak colonies though

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

One advantage of uniting now is that there will be less to feed and less to treat for Varroa. I have over 30 right now and will unite down to 25 as that is the number I am set up for in terms of equipment and the time I have to manage them etc ( I expect winter losses of around 10 to 15% as that is my typical loss). However 3 colonies or 4 colonies is neither here nor there so winter all four and decide how many you want to keep next spring.

Uniting now or in the coming month(s), can provide a strong foraging force for later-seasonal flows.

As mentioned above, there are advantages of uniting before or after winter.

My view is, unless uniting for foraging, there is little point in uniting in the autumn unless one hive is weak. There will be no more bees in the winter cluster of strong hives - just more non-winter bees dying in the late autumn.

Uniting in the spring can be very beneficial for early forage crops - or reinforing several colonies to provide plenty of foragers at the right time - is the method I used when I had rather more colonies than now.

Had the same situation myself last year. Over-wintered four colonies successfully, sold two (cheap as chips to mentee), back to four again after successful ASs (Pagden). Will do the same this year. Makes more sense to me to keep options open for as long as possible - uniting now means fewer options should colonies not come through winter in viable states.
Good luck, whichever route you take.

Thank you everyone. We’ll put the 4 through winter and see what happens next year I think.

Back