Best Smoker To Buy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeFarmer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I know this is probably going to spark some debate but I'm looking at buying my first smoker and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Initially I'm drawn towards something like a Rauchboy 1 since its suppose to be easier to keep it alight which as a beginner is quite appealing. However, I'm open to suggestions.

I find the large Dadant smokers to be good, they seem to last longer than most other makes i have tried, but none of them last very long.

Thorne's have a "large stainless" smoker on their sale list. Decent for £13-50, since it actually is stainless . Naturally makes more sense as part of a larger (ideally free shipping) order. I'd recommend the stainless double strainer and the comb cutter as being cheap enough to be worth grabbing even though you won't need them for several months yet. All 3 are good offers.

Best smoker I have is the first one I bought. Cheap as chips at the WBKA Convention, built in grills at base and in the lid. The cheapo idea for opening the lid soon broke but that's no big deal, I can still lever it open with a screwdriver if it gets caked shut. It also has a wire guard and it stays alight from start to finish.

I find the large Dadant smokers to be good

:iagree:

Thorne's have a "large stainless" smoker on their sale list. Decent for £13-50,

I still have a few Thorne's smokers around, work well and keep alight although smaller than the Dadant so doesn't last as long. The spring on bellows is softer than the Dadant.

I find the large Dadant smokers to be good, they seem to last longer than most other makes i have tried, but none of them last very long.

That's so true. My first smoker (secondhand) was heavily used for at least 30 years in all. The modern ones I have used since have only lasted two years each before something fell off or fell apart.
Cazza

My dadant s/s smoker is 24 years old and still a okay!, bellows and all!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The modern ones I have used since have only lasted two years each before something fell off or fell apart.

I am glad it is not only me. Normally the hinge fails on my smoker, or the metal buckles jamming everything. Prising the smoker open and closed several times on a beekeeping day soon kills it.

This year I am trailing a smoker in each apiary to prevent the travelling wear and tear, and to reduce the time it is hot. (also will be having a metal container to put the smoker in, and a plastic container for the fuel!)

I got my first smoker 5 years ago from mais more in the sale for £20 and the second of e-bay also for £20 and exactly the same as the one from mais more. The same smoker is £46 in their 2013 catalogue. They are both still as good as new . My next one will be a dadant that i will get when I visit my brother in the u.s.

A few good tips.... They become caked in soot very quickly, make sure the inlets are clear and the outlet as well (often overlooked). When you have finished using it leave the top open as the tar will seal it shut otherwise. If it does seal shut then heat with a blow torch to open it, if you force it the ring or the hinge will eventually give way. Look after your smoker cos they are expensive.
I prefer a nice small one that is easy to hook onto a fence round my apiary, it doesn't burn too hot. I add fuel for each hive. Soon goes out after I have finished.
Don't forget about lighting it I use a long fire lighting gas filled thingy, 2 for £1 from the pound store, refillable....or use a kitchen blow torch. Both of these are easier than matches if wearing gloves, one click on the button and you have a flame!
Hope this helps
E

Thank you for your replies. I think from the sound of things I'll put my £37 back in my pocket and by a £15 one for now and see if it's still going after a few seasons. Is there much difference in using an Etna design?

I'm from the school of "Buy cheap, buy twice" so if its worth spending the extra pennies on getting a dadant with a guard then I will. I like the idea of one lasting 20 years! That's unless it's had 30 new sets of bellows, 6 new lids and 5 new guards :)

I know this is probably going to spark some debate but I'm looking at buying my first smoker and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

I got myself this one:

beroker-mini-deluxe.jpg

...but after seeing smokers in action, I now think that I was stupid and sentimental, and that should have gotten this one:

dathe-pijp-klein.jpg

just bought one of the £13.50 ones from th*rnes and while freely admitting I know two fifths of sweet b. all about it, I must say it doesn't seem very robust. I had a practise with ssome home rolled cardboard - went nicely, plenty of smoke. Put a small cork in it and left it. Two hours later it tokk about five puffs to get it going again - which I had quite mixed feelings about!

After fiddling around with a few, I have to say that the Dadant that I bought at the Honey Show last year has proved its worth. Smoulders away nicely and can be relied upon to wheeze back into life after a good few minutes of resting. Not cheap but the best that I have used so far, without question.

The fuel is more important than the smoker when it comes to smouldering , for instance ,laying the smoker on its side reduces fuel usage !
I use the natural pine cat litter. It takes a bit to get going but will burn all day , Down side being it produces a lot of tar!
VM

I like the Etna smoker, with dead wood, thoroughly dried as fuel. I tried a larger smoker thinking it would last longer, it didn't, only burnt more fuel faster. Had the Etna 4 years now, still OK, just needs a bit of a clean before the season starts.

The fuel is more important than the smoker when it comes to smouldering , for instance ,laying the smoker on its side reduces fuel usage !
I use the natural pine cat litter. It takes a bit to get going but will burn all day , Down side being it produces a lot of tar!
VM

Perhaps I should clarify, Dadant superior in longevity of burn for this beekeeper at least; all other things being reasonably similar! Size would indeed appear to matter...

just bought one of the £13.50 ones from th*rnes and while freely admitting I know two fifths of sweet b. all about it, I must say it doesn't seem very robust. ...

It isn't particularly flimsy. None of these things are spectacularly rugged (equals heavy).

I'd suggest that its an ideal candidate for a first smoker. As you use (and encounter) others, you'll discover what you prefer. Nobody else can tell you that.
Like as not, you'll think its fine and stick with it.

BTW, a culinary blowlamp is a great thing for
1/ lighting a smoker and
2/ detarring it. The flame concerts the sticky tar into dusty ash that is easily wiped away.

Latest posts

Back