Best Poly Nuc for a new Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any cedar hive would be suitable

ooh, i am going to check this out... i inherited the NUCS with a bunch of other stuff so not had time for a proper look.

Thos Ablo NUCS look like the Rolls Royce of NUCS - do they do an EKE to make 14x12 i couldn't see on the website.

I've spoke to Abelo recently about this and understand that they are working on a eke for their new style 6 Frame poly nuc. Nothing concrete yet but I'm sure it won't be too long before we see it.

Most of my June, July queen's had this configuration then hived up into single brood ready for the Heather.
I will also be wintering on double 6 frame nucs instead of hiving up.
l used one of my Maisemore polynucs for a split in late June which then expanded so fast that l needed to add a second poly brood chamber and as you describe, eventually hiving them on. Currently l have a later split that soon coincided with the summer flow and they filled out the polynuc with a couple of frames with fully capped stores - that one got an extra brood box storey too. Now, as you have, l'm going to overwinter them in it for the first time. How is best to organise the frames of stores for the winter - ie. should all the stores now be in the upper storey and concentrate brood rearing for the time being in the lower one, where most is still. ln your mind, where will they cluster during winter in a double poly nuc?

l used one of my Maisemore polynucs for a split in late June which then expanded so fast that l needed to add a second poly brood chamber and as you describe, eventually hiving them on. Currently l have a later split that soon coincided with the summer flow and they filled out the polynuc with a couple of frames with fully capped stores - that one got an extra brood box storey too. Now, as you have, l'm going to overwinter them in it for the first time. How is best to organise the frames of stores for the winter - ie. should all the stores now be in the upper storey and concentrate brood rearing for the time being in the lower one, where most is still. ln your mind, where will they cluster during winter in a double poly nuc?
Leave it as it is - if it is already set up as a double stack nuc and there is brood in both levels, don't fiddle around with them, just feed and leave them arrange the brood nest as they see fit. I've overwintered double up nucs like this for years with no problems

These nucs are very versatile, I find them a great way of getting new comb. From use as mating nucs dummied to three frames, allowed to build up and boxes added, I have a few boxes full of deep honey frames to clear, made some clearer boards that work a treat. We took one through winter last year in three boxes but usually use doubles, in fact I prefer the comb arrangement in a double nuc than a single national box.

Most doubles have good amounts of brood with me out side frames are mainly stores unless your nucs are rammed with stores and almost honey bound I would leave them, I've been feeding some light ones even though they are near Heather which has finished in that area only feeding little amounts as Im waiting for the ivy..
Hope that helps.

Edit: you were saying that brood in yours is mainly in the bottom box has she got space to lay emerging brood? Is the top half mostly stores?

Last edited:
Just don't break a roof as you wont be able to get a spare, been there and done it (on two) which now have wooden roofs.

First off, how?

Secondly, thought they were designed to be compatible with Maisemore poly nuc parts? Just buy a Maisemore lid, which is available to buy e.g. Maisemore Nuc Roof - Bee Supplies

Edit: you were saying that brood in yours is mainly in the bottom box has she got space to lay emerging brood? Is the top half mostly stores?
When l added the second polynuc brood box, they had two outside frames of mostly fully capped honey on both sides and four frames of 'rectangular' brood in the original polynuc base. l moved one frame of brood upstairs to encourage the queen up there to lay more eggs in the added comb. Now they have even more stores up in the second box with only two frames with brood there - making six bias frames in all. Should l take out some stores and give them more space for brood to maximise winter bee production or will six frames be sufficient?

When l added the second polynuc brood box, they had two outside frames of mostly fully capped honey on both sides and four frames of 'rectangular' brood in the original polynuc base. l moved one frame of brood upstairs to encourage the queen up there to lay more eggs in the added comb. Now they have even more stores up in the second box with only two frames with brood there - making six bias frames in all. Should l take out some stores and give them more space for brood to maximise winter bee production or will six frames be sufficient?

I wouldn't. Your current setup sounds perfect. We're almost in September - laying is slowing down significantly now. Let them sort themselves out how they want to.

I tend to agree it sounds like the nest is contracting.
When you move frames up next time try and do it with two one can get isolated and you will have more nurse bees upstairs to draw comb look after brood or even three if you have ample frames of capped brood and they are a strong colony.
@Boston Bees i was wondering if they would almost be better in a single nuc?

@Boston Bees i was wondering if they would almost be better in a single nuc?

I wouldn't personally. Like all honeybees, they want a large slab of honey over their heads for winter if possible, so they can eat their way up through it. That's what they are trying to create now (which is why the amount of brood in the top box looks like it is reducing). Taking the honey frames out and reducing them to a 6 frame box would work against their plan.

A double-storey poly nuc, with the top storey full of honey at the start of winter, is a wonderful configuration, IMHO - perhaps the perfect overwintering configuration in fact.

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally. Like all honeybees, they want a large slab of honey over their heads for winter if possible, so they can eat their way up through it. That's what they are trying to create now (which is why the amount of brood in the top box looks like it is reducing). Taking the honey frames out and reducing them to a 6 frame box would work against their plan.

A double-storey poly nuc, with the top storey full of honey at the start of winter, is a wonderful configuration, IMHO - perhaps the perfect overwintering configuration in fact.

I have some single-storey nucs that I will be converting to this format in a month or so, adding an empty brood-extension and putting in frames of (non-food-grade) stores I have in the freezer.
Thanks, this was my instinct in the OP but have to consider that of the bees too. So, would you reorganise the brood frames so that all are below in the polynuc brood base and move all stores above in the second brood storey with most capped to the sides or in the middle.......currently there are six of each.

Thanks, this was my instinct in the OP but have to consider that of the bees too. So, would you reorganise the brood frames so that all are below in the polynuc brood base and move all stores above in the second brood storey with most capped to the sides or in the middle.......currently there are six of each.

NO

Stop fiddling :)

They know what they are doing and will get to their chosen ideal format by the time winter arrives, which is still a couple of months off yet.

The only intervention you need to do between now and spring is

a) treating for varroa now
b) feeding if necessary (which as they currently have plenty of food it is not, though you can reassess this in Sept/Oct and then as winter progresses)

First off, how?

Secondly, thought they were designed to be compatible with Maisemore poly nuc parts? Just buy a Maisemore lid, which is available to buy e.g. Maisemore Nuc Roof - Bee Supplies
Thought discussion was about Payne’s Nucs which are a different size and although I was advised Maisie’s lids would fit, they don’t. Running 30 nucs each year, a couple are always going to get broken especially as they are very thin and I have big feet . I like the idea of the twin BS nucs.

I’ve 20 of the bs and will have an order in for more, I don’t use them as twins the dividers are terrible i just use as singles. They have upgraded to metal dividers that may be better but I’ve not used them. I’ve now moved all mating Nucs into 5 or 6 frame boxes, you just don’t need to fill but gives them room to expand.

I don’t use them as twins the dividers are terrible i just use as singles. They have upgraded to metal dividers
Yes, as an interchangeable system of 6 or 3x2 frames it doesn't work. Issue is not only the Correx divider - which warps - but the various grooves in which it sits: they fill with propolis and wax and dead bees and wax moth and the divider never goes back in.

My solution is to use the boxes as either permanent 6 or 3x2 framers. As a 3x2 the Correx stays rigid and propolised solid and no struggle is needed to swap format. I paint the two sorts different greens.

The 6f grooves are then superfluous (also the side groove of a 3x2) and this winter I'll fill them with car body filler, or Milliput, or somesuch.

Not tried the new composite aluminium divider (never seen it in stock on the website) but it is a hefty £12, and then only sold as a package with a perspex crownboard.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="ericbeaumont, post: 787356, member: 3756"
Not tried the new composite aluminium divider (never seen it in stock on the website) but it is a hefty £12, and then only sold as a package with a perspex crownboard.
[/QUOTE]

Oh oo um.. something I haven’t got, do I need it probedly not, will I use them , the devider who knows but the cortex one I have is crap.
Do I want it defiantly and a 2 in one deal who could resist that😁

If people want to use the bs Nucs as a twin a simple solution could be thin ply replacement for the cortex. Use it as a template to cut. But really I’ve found the minis need to much management when in the small boxes, much better/easier to have the space provided by a 5/6 frame box. You can obviously still stock with the same frames of bees or brood.

Last edited:

Aye as you say for winter which is some months away.
Checking full colonys and double nucs on Thursday on the Heather, double nucs were 4 over 3 and to many frames of stores so I've removed two from the top box and gave them comb for space.
Some Double brood colonys havent lots of space either so I've removed fully capped frames.
In this situation space is required and there is a flow from Heather and fields of vetch, clover, dead nettle, mixed nectar rich flowers.

Latest posts

Back