Best Poly Nuc for a new Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgate

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

I was wondering what people's experiences are with the different Poly NUCs out there.

Looking through the list I've concluded that

Maisemore
Paynes
Thornes
Abelo.

I understand that of the four Paynes has issues with the feeder and am guessing that Thornes is normally quite dear.

Maisey seems to be the preferred poly NUC but as Abelo makes good National Poly Hives i was wondering what people thought about Abelo Poly Nucs.

Was just wondering what people's preferences are bearing in mind it's my first NUC.

I am needing it soon to help in requeening my hive.

Thanks for your time.

BS Honey Bees nuc.

A reworked version of the maisimore nuc so cross compatible but with other benefits such as higher density poly and a much better feeder design. The nuc Abelo sells is the maisimore nuc.

Last edited:
All depends on what you want to do with the nucs long term, for us the Masiemore are good, we have 2, one with the new roof that looks really good for overwintering, and we had a look at the BS Honeybees one at Betradex, as others have said well made and thought out, bit more expensive than the Masie and the divider/feeder plug are just more bits to lose unless you want them.

We were given a Paynes and didn't like it, the side feeder is a rubbish idea as you have to open the hive to refill, the float sticks and they build brace comb in it, much prefer miller style feeders where you can look in, refill without removing the crown board so no need to suit up! and the Paynes is not cross compatible with any others, we swapped it for a Masie with a friend who likes them and we wouldn't buy one.

All depends on what you want to do with the nucs long term, for us the Masiemore are good, we have 2, one with the new roof that looks really good for overwintering, and we had a look at the BS Honeybees one at Betradex, as others have said well made and thought out, bit more expensive than the Masie and the divider/feeder plug are just more bits to lose unless you want them.

We were given a Paynes and didn't like it, the side feeder is a rubbish idea as you have to open the hive to refill, the float sticks and they build brace comb in it, much prefer miller style feeders where you can look in, refill without removing the crown board so no need to suit up! and the Paynes is not cross compatible with any others, we swapped it for a Masie with a friend who likes them and we wouldn't buy one.

There are many who would disagree with that

Well, as a novice I prefer my BS Nucs to my old Maisemore ones as I prefer the top bee space, stops me squashing bees on the tops of frames when I put the lid back on.

In an ideal worked I'd prefer a cheaper option that has a single entrance and no divider but that's just me.

There are many who would disagree with that
Ok as we are new to Beekeeping i can only say what we have found, and figure you have many years experience.
but i cannot think of one advantage of the side feeder over the miller style feeder other than you can cut it out and get more frames in?

Even Paynes now have a miller style feeder for their side feeder nuc as in their own blurb
"This is a top style feeder for the poly nuc. This allows greater capacity so less visits back to the colony for re fills. Just block the side feeder off in the poly nuc and place this on the top.
A clear cover over the centre channel so you can easily see the bees taking the syrup down without opening the hive up making the visits quick and easy. Both syrup chambers are sloping towards the centre so that every drop of feed can be taken down by the bees - No waste
"

top-style-feeder-for-poly-nuc/

So Paynes are admitting that the side feeder is second best option to a top style miller feeder!

Last edited:
Ok as we are new to Beekeeping i can only say what we have found, and figure you have many years experience.
but i cannot think of one advantage of the side feeder over the miller style feeder other than you can cut it out and get more frames in?

Even Paynes now have a miller style feeder for their side feeder nuc as in their own blurb
"This is a top style feeder for the poly nuc. This allows greater capacity so less visits back to the colony for re fills. Just block the side feeder off in the poly nuc and place this on the top.
A clear cover over the centre channel so you can easily see the bees taking the syrup down without opening the hive up making the visits quick and easy. Both syrup chambers are sloping towards the centre so that every drop of feed can be taken down by the bees - No waste
"

top-style-feeder-for-poly-nuc/

So Paynes are admitting that the side feeder is second best option to a top style miller feeder!

For me the cost and simplicity of the Payne's nuc is important, especially when ordering 30-40 at a time. It is true the feeder will often have dead bees in it but I believe they're mostly worn out foragers that would have died unseen out in the field. If you slide the crown board across when filling you cause very little disturbance to the colony. Any that do react are sure to need requeening

Have Paines and BS. Prefer BS, but no problems with Paines - put sand and masonry paint surface in feeder and stuff it with thin line.

What format?
Abelo is by far the best if you're running Langstroths.

They come highly recommended for Std Nationals as well.

What format?

Abelo is by far the best if you're running Langstroths.

They come highly recommended for Std Nationals as well.
Looking for national hives ideally 14 by 12 as my hive and future hives planning on being deep nationals.

i use the same one and love it got three at the moment and keep wanting to get more. i have a few of their the correx boxes too.
I had looked into those but parked them as they've been out of stick for a while.

https://www.beekeeping.co.uk/produc...c-14x12-frames--foundation--candy-feed_590917

National Bee Supplies was another one i looked into as I was looking for 14 by 12 preferably using an eke for added flexibility. Seemed a little pricier but thry do kitchen sink with everything.

Has anyone tried them?
Just got our last one from Mark at beekeepingsuppliesuk Masie Nuc 14x12 with feeder and my better half picked up another 2 supers yesterday from him. have put together about 40+ frames from him and not had any problems.
And he's i nice guy to deal with.

Last edited:
I have Paynes and a Maiseies - prefer the Paynes despite the side feeder.
Can add supers, top feeders and ekes as you need. Pretty versatile.

Hi,

I was wondering what people's experiences are with the different Poly NUCs out there.

Looking through the list I've concluded that

Maisemore
Paynes
Thornes
Abelo.

I understand that of the four Paynes has issues with the feeder and am guessing that Thornes is normally quite dear.

Maisey seems to be the preferred poly NUC but as Abelo makes good National Poly Hives i was wondering what people thought about Abelo Poly Nucs.

Was just wondering what people's preferences are bearing in mind it's my first NUC.

I am needing it soon to help in requeening my hive.

Thanks for your time.

Abelo are on my doorstep and I'm seriously impressed with their national and 14x12 poly hives with the exception of the poly crownboard they use as it's a faff when the poly discs fall about during manipulation. I sellotape them in place now. At my last visit I was talking to Damien about the possibility of a clear crownboard option.
The national nucs they sell are maisemores which I like although maisemores have recently changed the roof design to a deeper version which allows room for Fondant or apiguard trays. I've got a couple of the shallow roof version and one of the modified ones. They are great for collecting swarms too.
There was a glitch in deliveries recently but they had plenty of stocks at their open weekend when I went.

My Poly nucs

I have 2 of the 2 in 1 BS Honeybees nucs as mating nucs.
I find the the divider and the feeder plug useful. The top feeder is better for the bees than the side feeder in my opinion.
It is a good idea to use petroleum jelly to stop the divider sticking and on the surfaces between the lid and feeder and brood chamber when painting with masonry paint. Also, make sure the screw holding the disc entrance is tight because if loose this can let the disc slip trapping the bees inside.

I find the BS honey bee nuc box useful, but wouldn’t buy the national poly brood boxes anymore. They can be divided what is good for two nucleus colonies over an other colony but the material is too soft and gets damaged easily, especially the roof. I have no idea why they don’t use the material they take for the nuc box? Definitely to expensive for what it is and wouldn't buy them again. Also they can’t supply the divider what is quite annoying if you bought them just because you need them to make up nucs.

Latest posts

Back